You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, February 8, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
6. [10 a.m.] For Black History Month the forthcoming Lucas Museum is teaming up with LACMA to present a morning screening of The Whiz at the Cinemark Theater in Baldwin Hills. Pop-up Melanin Market L.A. will take place outside the cinema featuring black-owned businesses and vendors along with free family art-making stations from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The day continues in the evening with a 6:30 p.m. screening of Do the Right Thing, followed by a post conversation with University of Chicago professor Jacqueline Stewart and Lucas Museum film curator Ryan Linkof.
5. [10:30 a.m.] DC presents Reading with Zoo-per Heroes at the L.A. Zoo, a family friendly event with superheroes, graphic novels, and up-close animal demonstrations. The all-day event will feature interactive presentations with live animals, signings, author/artist meet and greets, as well as free giveaways, photo ops with a costumed Batman, and much more. Free to attend with the purchase of zoo admission.
1. [11 a.m.] The Annenberg Space For Photography is sharing four decades of Vanity Fair’s celebrity portraits from their annual Hollywood issues as well as captures from past Oscar night parties. It’s all part of their latest exhibit Vanity Fair: Hollywood Calling, opening on Feb. 8. FREE
2. [11 a.m.] L.A. Art Show is our city’s largest and longest-running art fair. The show will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center starting February 5 with an opening night gala and continuing throiugh Sunday. This year will also celebrate the shows 25th anniversary.
3. [11 a.m.] The Eli and Edythe Broad Stage in Santa Monica invites families to Celebrating Samba. Performed by Viver Brasil, audiences will be taken on a cultural journey through dance and music followed by interactive activities like samba lessons with Viver Brazil, photo opps and a community art project. Tickets cost $5, the events starts at 11 a.m.
4. [11 a.m.] One Love Cali Reggae Festival returns to the Queen Mary Events Park in Long Beach on February 7-9 for its fourth annual music fest.
7. [noon] Get a head start on Valentine’s Day by attending Love Letters Crafts Fest to commission or make a Valentine’s card with the aid of professional poets, artists and calligraphers. There will also be vendors selling goods so you can get all your V-Day shopping done in one day.
10. [noon] Cupid’s Undie Run returns to L.A. for a “brief” run for a great cause. The event starts at The Buffalo Club, where you party, run roughly a mile, then party some more.
9. [6 p.m.] L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with another show at The Virgil.
8. [6:45 p.m.] The Phantasmagoria was a form of early horror theater and it’s being resurrected February 7-9 at Heritage Square Museum. Guests will experience optical illusions of ghosts and other apparitions this immersive night set in the 1830s will have you exploring life and death with fellow macabre lovers.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: Take a break from the usual Valentine’s Day festivities and join Skyspace for Be Wine Valentine, a unique wine tasting event 1,000 feet above DTLA. Sample five different wine varietals paired with delicious bites and breathtaking views from two outdoor terraces.
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!