You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, March 6, 2020.
*** SPECIAL NOTE: On March 4, 2020 Los Angeles County declared a local health emergency in response to new Novel Coronavirus Activity (COVID-19). Per LA County’s press release, although individual risk of county residents contracting COVID-19 remains low, now is a good time to educate yourself on how the virus spreads and go over preparations you should make should the situation escalate, and more extreme measures (such as mandated social distancing) become a requirement. The County’s website has many excellent resources, including an F.A.Q. on COVID-19, and general steps you can take to stop the spread of illness, including a guide on proper hand washing. ***
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] FIDM Museum presents their annual “Art of Motion Picture Costume Design” exhibition from February 4 to March 21. Now in its 28th year the public can see costumes created by all five Academy Award nominees. Over 100 outstanding costume designs from 29 films in the past year will also be on display. FREE
2. [noon] . Step into the immersive world of Gucci Beauty (March 6-7) as the global luxury brand celebrates the launch of the new Gucci Mascara L’Obscur. Dubbed ‘Gucci Beauty Network Studios,’ guests can experience a Gucci Guilty diner, a Gucci Mémoire d’une Odeur library and much more. FREE
3. [4 p.m.] Metro Art presents the soulful sounds of the Healing Gems in a special rush-hour concert this Thursday, from 4-6 p.m. in the Waiting Room of Union Station. FREE
4. [5 p.m.] The Wizard’s Den is an immersive pop-up where aspiring spell casters can concoct their own magical potions (aka cocktails) donning wizard’s robes and using a variety of witchy props and ingredients. The pop-up opened Feb. 26 and runs on various dates through April 5.
5. [5 p.m.] Natural History Museum’s First Fridays offer after-hours access to Museum Galleries combined with themed discussions, live performances, DJ sets, and food trucks. This Friday Wajatta the musical duo of Reggie Watts and John Tejada will kick off the First Friday series celebrating their sophomore album, Don’t Let Get You Down.
6. [7:30 p.m.] The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
7. [9 p.m.] Jonathan Wilson performs live at the Masonic Lodge at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery March 6-7.
8. [9 p.m.] Break out that extra black eyeliner because Emo Nite is back at the Echo and Echoplex this Friday with DJ’s spinning the best emo tunes all night long.
9. [various] Grand Central Market hosts Friday Night Flights every Friday starting at noon. The special includes a flight of drinks or bites from GCM vendors and a round trip ticket on the historic Angels Flight Railway right across the street for $15.
10. [various] The American Cinematheque and Telefilm Canada in partnership with the Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles and the Quebec Delegation in Los Angeles present CANADA NOW 2020: NEW FILMS FROM CANADA at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, March 6-8, 2020.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $18 tix to L.A. TACO’s Birriamania (via Goldstar)