You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, May 17, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] Enjoy a lively and free panel discussion about dance when Center Stage: Mapping the Ecology of Dance in L.A. comes to the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills on Thursday. FREE
2. [4 p.m.] Third Thursdays on Brand Avenue in Glendale is a vibrant event featuring music, food, drinks, and artisanal goods, taking place outside of the Museum of Neon Art.
3. [5 p.m.] LA Times Food Bowl Night Market (May 16-20) features dozens of restaurants and food trucks selling food for purchase, plus an assortment of DJ’d music and entertainment, taking place in Downtown Los Angeles’ Grand Park.
4. [5 p.m.] The night market at hilltop Asian restaurant Yamashiro back for 2018 every Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., through September 27. Angelenos can enjoy a farmers market, freshly prepared foods and Yamashiro’s unbeatable views of Hollywood.
5. [6 p.m.] Shibumi and Kuramoto US will host a night with Yamagata Brewery featuring special sakes during dinner service at Shibumi from 6 to 9 p.m. Mr. Yamagata will be on hand to pour sake for guests and talk about the process. Featured sakes for the evening are from Japan and not yet available in the US.
6. [6 p.m.] The 3rd Annual Venice Art Crawl will take place on Venice Boulevard and will feature art exhibits, poets, musicians, and more. FREE
7. [6 p.m.] The new 5 Art Gallery will host a grand opening reception from 6 to 9 p.m. Founded by Parisians Jean-Jacques and Julie Darmon, the gallery will be the spot to discover French street artist. Several never-before-seen works by BABS, Christophe Catelain, L’Atlas, MonkeyBird and RISK will be on display at the gallery. FREE
8. [6 p.m.] The Downtown Long Beach Alliance’s (DLBA) Summer and Music (SAM) series returns for its tenth year of producing free, family-friendly events to Downtown Long Beach. Kick off night will feature headliner Korey Dane. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] Head to San Pedro’s Cabrillo Marine Aquarium for the Grunion Fish-tival. Celebrate another year of grunion running with various themed activities including arts and crafts, classic grunion videos, discussions, live tide pools, costume contest and a late night grunion run.
10. [various] Beyond the Streets is a fully immersive exhibition of street and graffiti art comprised of over 30 artist in a massive 40,000+ square feet exhibits. Artist are an eclectic mix of street and beyond including Retna, Shepard Fairey, Kenny Scharf Dennis Hopper and Jenny Holzer. Open Tuesday through Sunday this week.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $5 tix to the VIP Supermarket at the LA Times FOOD BOWL Night Market (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.