You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, May 3, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] The bi-annual Matisse Footwear warehouse sale will have highly coveted styles at 80% below retail, with prices starting at $10. Happening May 3-5 in El Segundo.
2. [noon] Art duo Dosshaus transforms the Corey Helford Gallery into a flop-house hotel from the 60’s made entirely of recycled cardboard hand painted to look like black & white illustrations. The exhibit houses hundreds of individual pieces including a “Paper-Thin Hotel” with several life size rooms. This is the final week for the exhibit which concludes on May 5. FREE
3. [4 p.m.] First Thursdays at The Broad takes places from 4 to 7 p.m. and includes free tickets to Jasper Johns: ‘Something Resembling Truth’, which will be issued starting at 3:45 p.m. No reservations are necessary. FREE
4. [5 p.m.] The night market at hilltop Asian restaurant Yamashiro back for 2018 every Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., through September 27. Angelenos can enjoy a farmers market, freshly prepared foods and Yamashiro’s unbeatable views of Hollywood.
9. [6 p.m.] Chinatown After Dark going down at Far East Plaza happens every first Thursday of the month and is a testing ground for chefs in our city as well as a place to enjoy local music.
5. [6 p.m.] The Mission District of the City of San Gabriel will throw a Cinco de Mayo Mercado Street Festival with food trucks, live entertainment, a Mercado with Latin American artisans and vendors, complementary kids’ activities, art, beer and wine garden and more. FREE
6. [8 p.m.] Grab a beer and pull up a chair. Last Laugh Comedy is brining the laughs to Angel City Brewery with Jc Currais, Jeanne Whitney, Alex Dunog and more on the bill.
7. [8 p.m.] Blues in the Night at The Wallis.
6. [various] Effervescence is a showcase of the finest Champagne and sparkling wines, taking place at four great Los Angeles venues — Republique, the Kimpton La Peer Hotel, Avalon Hollywood, and Kali — from May 3-5.
10. [various] Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.) FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: Get $15 tix to the Midsummer Scream Festival (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.