You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, May 5, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Bid farewell to Kidspace Museum’s butterfly season during its Grand Butterfly Celebration on May 5-6. Learn about butterflies and how support their life cycle, mold a butterfly puddler out of clay, paint butterfly scenes en plain air & make a butterfly stick kite that you can wave at the 2 p.m. show with a live DJ.
2. [10 a.m.] VRLA: A New Reality comes to the Los Angeles Convention Center’s South Hall on May 4-5 for the ultimate experience with the next generation of immersive and transformative technology.
3. [10 a.m.] The bi-annual Matisse Footwear warehouse sale will have highly coveted styles at 80% below retail, with prices starting at $10. Happening May 3-5 in El Segundo.
4. [noon] Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at the Tacos & Beer Fest 2018 at Pershing Square in Downtown Los Angeles. Enjoy tacos, cerveza, music, games, piñatas, mechanical bull rides and more.
5. [noon] Silver Lake’s Los Angeles County Store, where everything is hand-made in the Los Angeles area will celebrate it’s four year anniversary with a party. Festivities include refreshments and a pop-up shop featuring from Plume and Pulp stationery, We Felt Things felted monsters and plants, Marly Beyer art prints, Lady Angeles balms, and Sanctuary Ceramics.
6. [5 p.m.] If you have a passion for tacos, head to Hecho in LA: Taco Madness at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes in Downtown Los Angeles. Savor the city’s best tacos, listen to great music, drink micheladas, and try the best local craft L.A. beer. This event is brought to you by L.A. Taco and I LOVE MICHELADAS produced by SUAVICREMA.
7. [5:30 p.m.] Eat|See|Hear returns for 2018 with a screening of Despicable Me at North Hollywood Recreation Center. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. [6 p.m.] Bowling for Rhinos returns to the Jewel City Bowl in Glendale for their annual bowling fundraiser thrown by the American Association of Zoo Keepers (AAZK) and aims to raise money and support for endangered rhino species. Last year’s event was the most successful on record, so now AAZK is hoping to surpass their previous fundraising goal!
9. [various] Free Comic Book Day is back on May 5! Occurring every year on the first Saturday of May, it’s an international comic book celebration during which comic book shops give away comic books absolutely FREE to anyone who visits their shops.
10. [various] Cinco de Mayo is this Saturday! We rounded up some of the best food and drink deals as well as parties happening all over Los Angeles in this week’s Tasty Tuesday News Bites.
DEAL OF THE DAY: Get $33.5 tix to School of Rock at the Hollywood Pantages (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.