You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, June 30, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Pirates Invasion of Long Beach and Mermaid Festival returns to Shoreline Aquatic Park from June 30-July 1, with thousands of costumed pirates descending from three separate pirate ships. See sword fights, cannon and musket battles, treasure hunts and costume contests all weekend. There will also be a mermaid-themed village with mermaid games, mermaid royalty and more. FREE
2. [noon] Harold & Belle’s 10th Annual Block Party and Crawfish Boil will once again feature all-you-can-eat New Orleans style cooking, live music and kid friendley activities.
3. [4 p.m.] 626 Night Market returns for three nights of deliciousness from June 29-July 1 at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia.
4. [4 p.m.] Chicas Tacos in DTLA will celebrate their anniversary on June 30 with Baja Market L.A. Taking place in the backlot of Chicas Tacos. The event will highlight Baja Mexico’s Valle De Guadalupe with an afternoon fiesta showcasing a roster of talent from the region.
5. [5 p.m.] Pasadena’s Norton Simon Museum of Art will host a garden party this weekend called A Night in Focus featuring botanical activities, live jazz, plein air sketching, watercolor sketching and savoring food and drink items for purchase in the Garden Cafe. The garden party admission is free with the purchase of museum admission.
6. [6 p.m.] LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes will host a free Latino-themed film screening series starting June 30th and occurring once a month till October. Kicking off the series is a screening of 1978 film Up in Smoke.FREE
7. [7 p.m.] Back for the 15th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Parkat the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with a free performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] NoHo Summer Nights Festival at Center Stage Opera presents The Best Of Broadway, Vol IV featuring Broadway tunes from Gershwin to Andrew Lloyd Webber, performed by The Center Stage Opera Orchestra. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] Summer Happenings at The Broad is a series of late-night events featuring music, performance and art. Now in its third year, the series kicks off with an evening inspired by The Broad’s new exhibition, A Journey That Wasn’t which explores artists’ representations of time, memory and repetition. Gang Gang Dance, DJ Stretch Armstrong and more perform this Saturday to open the summer series.
10. [8 p.m.] KCRW’s Summer Nights offers free all-ages outdoor music shows over the course of the summer throughout Los Angeles and this weekend they’ll takes over Chinatown with DJs Liza Richardson and Garth Trinidad. FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: $22 tix to Jennifer Hudson with live orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.