You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, July 1, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Pirates Invasion of Long Beach and Mermaid Festival returns to Shoreline Aquatic Park from June 30-July 1, with thousands of costumed pirates descending from three separate pirate ships. See sword fights, cannon and musket battles, treasure hunts and costume contests all weekend. There will also be a mermaid-themed village with mermaid games, mermaid royalty and more. FREE
2. [11 p.m.] Dew Tour’s summer skate competition and festival returns to the Long Beach Convention Center and Rainbow Park Lagoon from June 28 to July 1 for a free four-day celebration of all things skate culture.
3. [noon] The third annual SAM JAM Venice Block Party hosted at Oakwood Park is focused on bringing the Venice community together through music, food, and art to support charity Inner-City Arts. On the bill this year is a DJ set by Young The Giant, XYLØ, Gallant and more.
4. [2 p.m.] Redondo Beach will be hosting a family-friendly fireworks show at Seaside Lagoon featuring huge inflatable slides, patriotic music and a special menu from Ruby’s Diner.
5. [3 & 5 p.m.] Mount Wilson Observatory is offering a classical music concert within the dome of the 100-inch telescope above the observatory this Sunday.
6. [4 p.m.] 626 Night Market returns for three nights of deliciousness from June 29-July 1 at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia.
7. [5 p.m.] Tiny Porch Concerts returns to Agoura Hills with free monthly concerts with an artistic slant. This month there will be a artist lead walk and workshop, a sound experience and a performance by Willie Nile with special guest Shane Alexander. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] It’s Reggae Night with Beres Hammond, Alpha Blondy and Protoje at the Hollywood Bowl when KCRW’s World Festival returns for the 20th year at the popular outdoor concert venue. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [7 p.m.] Back for the 15th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with a free performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. FREE
10. [8 p.m.] Outdoor theater Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum, located in Topanga Canyon summer 2018 season begins on June 2 with a performance of Shakespeare’s Coriolanus.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $22 tix to Jennifer Hudson with live orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.