You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, August 17, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] British artist Lucy Sparrow has transformed the second floor of the Standard in DTLA into Sparrow Mart a supermarket art wonderland fill with over 31,000 adorable felt-covered food replicas all for sale. Part art installation, store and loads of photo worthy moments, Sparrow Mart open Aug 1-31 (closed on Mondays) is free to attend on a first come first serve basis. FREE
2. [5 p.m.] Long Beach BBQ Festival at Rainbow Lagoon Park (August 17-19) will feature world class pitmasters showcasing their skills for hungry que fans! Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. [5:30 p.m.] Barnsdall Fridays at Barnsdall Art Park offers evening tastings of boutique wines and music from KCRW DJs perched atop a hill with incredible city views.
4. [6 p.m.] Friday Flights at The Getty invites artists to respond to the iconic architecture, gardens and exhibitions of the museum through multiple art forms that include music, performance and film. FREE
5. [6 p.m.] The Roadium in Torrance presents Classic Drive-in Movies every Friday night in August and the first Friday of September. Each family-friendly event features classic films projected on the screen tower. Continuing the series is a screening of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
6. [6 p.m.] The Los Angeles Zoo’s annual after-hours music series, Roaring Nights, is back for summer 2018. Come experience DJs, indie bands, Silent Disco, the all-new Glamping Lounge, adult beverages, more than a dozen great food trucks each evening and more
7. [7 p.m.] “Music. Moves. Change makers.” is a dance-party take over of the Theatre at the Ace Hotel celebrating music and movements from around the world, with a DJ set from KPFK’s DJ Francesca Harding and brief conversation between local New York Times visual journalist Walter Thompson Hernandez and his editor Joanna Nikas. We Like L.A. readers can use the promo code NYTheartsLA to receive $10 off their ticket purchase.
8. [8 p.m.] STRETCH is a spandex-themed dance party that doubles as a cheeky homage to an 80’s workout video. The event features two indoor floors plus two outdoor decks, all taking place 1,000 above the ground at OUE Skyspace LA.
9. [8 p.m.] For over 30 years, Grand Performances has offered a variety of performance events at California Plaza, for free. Their 2018 summer series runs June 1 through August 18. This Friday La Marisoul Hernández of La Santa Cecilia presents The California Feetwarmers and The Hermanos. FREE
10. [various] Echo Park Rising celebrates the creativity, diversity, music and businesses of Echo Park with a four-day celebration (Aug 16-19) featuring food, drink, and amazing live music. FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: $4.50 tix to the Long Beach BBQ Fest Aug. 17-19 (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.