You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, August 31, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9:30 a.m.] Long Beach Comic Con August 31 to September 1 for two-days of cosplay, panels, a space expo, screenings, and a behind the scenes look at the comic industry. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. [10 a.m.] Head to downtown Hermosa Beach for Fiesta Hermosa August 31 through September 2. One of the largest arts and crafts fairs in Southern California, explore hundreds of artists, enjoy live music, a beer & wine garden and more. FREE
3. [11 a.m.] The Compton Art Walk takes place at the Center for Sustainable Communities. The event hosts free health screenings, an organic produce giveaway, and the newly formed TEDxComptonBlvd. with over 60 vendors and artist to discover. FREE
4. [1 p.m.] The Cure headlines and curates the Pasadena Daydream Festival, a summer headline event featuring their favorite artists such as Pixies, Deftones, Mogwai, and Throwing Muses. The festival takes place at Brookside at the Rose Bowl.
5. [4:30 p.m.] Golden Road Brewing hosts its third Made in LA Music and Arts Festival on Labor Day Weekend to celebrate Los Angeles’ best art, music, food, and California-inspired beer. The block party takes place August 31 to September 1 and features live performances from Phantom Planet, Donavon Frankenreiter, Lematire, Pell, and Lauren Ruth Ward.
6. [6 p.m.] West Adams Avenues Jazz and Music Festival (August 30-September 1) offers three nights of music including jazz, blues, funk and more, as well as activities, arts and crafts, and food trucks. FREE
7. [6 p.m.] The Big Sing 2019 brings together members of the Los Angeles Master Chorale and the public for a giant community sing-along. Participation is free, and reservations are not required, a commemorative song booklet will be given out on the day of the event. The song list includes tunes from ABBA, Toto, Randy Newman and more. FREE
8. [7:30 p.m.] The L.A. Times hosts its 10th Annual The Taste celebrating Southern California’s culinary scene August 30 through September 1. Curated by the Times’ Food Staff, there will be unlimited tastings from regional restaurants, wine, beer, and cocktails, plus access to cooking demonstrations.
9. [8 p.m.] John Williams hosts and David Newman conducts the LA Philharmonic at The Hollywood Bowl in their annual celebration of the music of John Williams. Film clips from Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, E.T. and more will accompany the music. Happening Friday through Sunday. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] Cinecon Classic Film Festival at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theatre (August 29 to September 2) is five days of classic film screenings, celebrity appearances, panels, a memorabilia show, and more.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $7 tix to Long Beach Comic Con (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!