You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, September 20, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] The LA County Fair at the Pomona Fairplex hosts an enormous assortment of activities, musical performances, carnival style food and more. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. [4 p.m.] Third Thursdays on Brand Avenue in Glendale, features music, food, drinks, DIY activities, artisanal vendors and an after hours at the Museum of Neon Art.
3. [5 p.m.] NoMad Los Angeles will debut its quarterly NoMadic Bartenders series this Thursday with top bartenders from around the world shaking up cocktails alongside the NoMad bar crew from 5-10 p.m. on the Rooftop.
4. [5 p.m.] Join author Jen Bilik for her book launch for This is (Not) L.A.: An Insider’s Guide to the Real Angeles at the Natural History Museum. The event will feature food trucks, a lively discussion with the author and a few familiar LA faces including KCRW Good Food host Evan Kleiman, Curbed LA editor Alissa Walker and more. This event is free in conjunction with NHM’s celebrated Becoming Los Angeles exhibit. FREE
5. [6 p.m.] Thursday is Game Night at Grand Central Market. From 6-10 p.m. grab dinner and drinks, then head to the Hill St. Platform side and play some ping pong, corn hole, Jenga and much more.
6. [7 p.m.] Knott’s Scary Farm is back with their signature haunted attractions, mazes and thousands of monsters ready to scare the living day light out of you and your crew.
7. [7 p.m.] KCRW’s political show Left, Right & Center returns to The Eli and Edythe Broad Stage to talk policy, the midterm election and more with a range of guests from all spectrums of politics.
8. [7:30 p.m.] Join New York Times writer Michael Barbaro and friends for “The Daily” live, a special live version of the hit podcast discussing Immigration in the Trump Era at The Theatre at Ace Hotel this Thursday.
9. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
10. [various] Free museum days: Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
DEAL OF THE DAY: $55 tix to Universal Studios Hollywood Horror Nights (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.