You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, September 28, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] The annual Watts Towers Day of the Drum will unite all cultures through music, dance and drum circles. There will also be free guided tours at the historical Watts Towers Arts Center, gallery tours and vendors selling food and arts and crafts. Open to all ages! FREE
2. [11 a.m.] Enjoy free play of over 50 classic arcade games from the 70’s-90’s during Union Station’s Retrocade Experience happening September 28-29. Guests will also get to enjoy classic arcade food, 80s soft drinks, a Pac Man competition, along with beer, wine and specialty-themed cocktails. Admission is $5 to the experience.
3. [11 a.m.] Gelato Festival America is an all-you-can-eat gelato festival happening at West Hollywood’s Pacific Design Center September 28-29. Each ticket holder gets to vote for their favorite gelato and participate in activities like gelato making, chef demos, eating contests, scoop stacking contests and much more.
4. [noon] Pinot Palooza comes to the United States for the first time in the midst of a six country tour showcasing some of the finest pinots from Australia, New Zealand, the USA, and beyond. The US debut takes place at City Market Social House in DTLA with over 100 wines from different regions; over 40 wineries represented and a large food lineup.
5. [2 p.m.] LA Beer Fest returns for a festival featuring dozens of domestic and international beer, food trucks, live music, Power 106 DJ, a dueling piano bar, and much more. It takes place September 28 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at LA Center Studios.
6. [5 p.m.] Relive the 1940’s aboard the historic Battleship USS IOWA when 40’s On The Fantail Wine, Beer & Food Festival takes over the ship for a day of live music, swing dancing, food and drinks all to raise funds for Mission 22, a non-profit working to combat veteran suicide. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. [5:30 p.m.] Opera at the Beach presents Giacomo Puccini’s La Bohème at the Santa Monica Pier. Grab your chairs and blankets to enjoy a picnic while a live broadcast of the opera happening at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion gets screened on the pier. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] The Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor returns with six terrifying mazes, including the brand new Rogue, in which the crew either is (or isn’t?) working to save the capsized vessel you’re trapped aboard. Nightly entertainment, rides, roaming monsters, and themed lounges round out Dark Harbor’s offerings. Happening September 26 through November 2. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [8 p.m.] Skyspace Nights featuring FLACO Band is a full on party. The first 40 guests can join in on a salsa lesson at 9 p.m. and then the band gets the party going at 10 p.m. Your first drink is free with admission!
10. [various] The Atlas Obscura Society Los Angeles will host a variety of odd and unusual workshops this Saturday and Sunday including octopus taxidermy, wax moths, chipmunk nun taxidermy, cat skeleton articulation and more.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $25 tix to the I Like Scary Movies Experience (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!