You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, September 29, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Come celebrate culture, jazz and community during the annual Simon Rodia Watts Towers Jazz Festival. The event will feature jazz performances, a Yoruba ground blessing, tours of the famed Watts Towers, art gallery tours, and more. FREE
2. [10 a.m.] The Abbot Kinney Festival in Venice has been dubbed the coolest block in America by GQ Magazine. Enjoy over 350 vendors, eclectic boutiques, artisan eateries, food trucks and booths, kids’ rides and games, four music stages, three beer gardens, and more along the mile-long street. FREE
3. [10 a.m.] The Los Angeles Chocolate Salon returns for its 13th anniversary with a presentation of world-premium artisan chocolate and confections. Chocolate aficionados can taste and experience gourmet chocolate while watching demonstrations, chef and author talks, and ongoing interviews by TasteTV’s Chocolate Television program. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [11 a.m.] Enjoy free play of over 50 classic arcade games from the 70’s-90’s during Union Station’s Retrocade Experience happening September 28-29. Guests will also get to enjoy classic arcade food, 80s soft drinks, a Pac Man competition, along with beer, wine and specialty-themed cocktails. Admission is $5 to the experience.
5. [11 a.m.] Gelato Festival America is an all-you-can-eat gelato festival happening at West Hollywood’s Pacific Design Center September 28-29. Each ticket holder gets to vote for their favorite gelato and participate in activities like gelato making, chef demos, eating contests, scoop stacking contests and much more.
6. [4 p.m.] Mexico in a Bottle: South to North is a special tasting event that explores Mexico’s regional spirits and flavors through craft spirits, art, food, and music. Over 100 expressions of spirits will be offered plus bites from several restaurants including Guelaguetza and Madre.
7. [5 p.m.] AbilityFirst’s 45th Annual Festival of Fall highlighting Pasadena’s outdoor gourmet food and drink scene takes place at the gorgeous gardens of the Historic Laurabelle A. Robinson House in Pasadena this Sunday.
8. [7 p.m.] Hollywood Bowl welcomes Gary Clark Jr. and Michael Kiwanuka to the iconic outdoor concert venue for an evening of spectacular live music.
9. [7 p.m.] The Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor returns with six terrifying mazes, including the brand new Rogue, in which the crew either is (or isn’t?) working to save the capsized vessel you’re trapped aboard. Nightly entertainment, rides, roaming monsters, and themed lounges round out Dark Harbor’s offerings. Happening September 26 through November 2. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] The Atlas Obscura Society Los Angeles will host a variety of odd and unusual workshops this Saturday and Sunday including octopus taxidermy, wax moths, chipmunk nun taxidermy, cat skeleton articulation and more.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $25 tix to the I Like Scary Movies Experience (via Goldstar)