Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend in L.A. (January 19-21) includes a Bowie vs. Prince Mashup Night, Peanuts Gang Art Exhibition, Winter Star Party, Women’s March L.A., Winter Snow Fest, Record Fair at Smorgasburg LA and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday January 19th, 2018
1. Bootie LA returns to the Echoplex this Friday evening for a special Bowie vs. Prince Mashup Night.
2. ‘The Garden’ is a new series by the LA Phil offering complimentary pre-concert drinks and views of the DTLA Skyline followed by masterful performances. Taking place on select Fridays starting January 5 through June 1. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase to the actual concert. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. dineL.A. the city’s restaurant week (January 12-26) kicks of this Friday with another round of exclusive lunch and dinner menus (and deals!) at a laundry list of the city’s finest eateries. Want to know where to eat among the huge list of choices? Start here, with our picks for 20 can’t-miss menus.
4. Forest Lawn Museum’s latest exhibition Pigskin Peanuts is an homage to the late great Charles M. Schulz. Featuring 50 Sunday and daily football-themed comic strips and other Peanuts related objects, the family friendly exhibit will be on display from January 18 through March 15, 2018. Admission to the museum and parking is always free. FREE
5. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every Wednesday and Friday. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style.
6. Redondo Beach Restaurant Week is back from January 12 to 26. Dozen of eateries from the beach city’s growing food scene will be participating by offering either specially priced prix-fixe lunches and/or dinners, or other Restaurant Week-only special offers
7. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Greenbar Distillery will host their popular cocktail class this Friday. The theme is “Fresh Produce,” guests will get to experiment with seasonal fruits, vegetables and herbs along with a variety of Greenbar organic liquors. Must be a member to sign up for classes, membership is free.
9. Get an inside look at the world of professional street skateboarding as Sociologist Gregory Snyder presents his new book Skateboarding LA at The Last Bookstore. FREE
Saturday January 20th, 2018
11. In this political climate, speaking up and avoiding complacency is more important than ever. Stand up and let your voice be heard during the Women’s March Los Angeles 2018 taking place in Pershing Square. The 2017 march attracted a phenomenal crowd, estimated at 750,000, uniting women, men, and people of all races and backgrounds. FREE
12. The National Park Service will host Mysteries of the Night Sky a Winter Star Party at Paramount Ranch. Guests will have a chance to see star clusters, nebulae and more through high-powered telescopes with astronomers and childern can become an official Night Sky Junior Ranger. FREE
13. Gateway to the Moon 3.0 is a new immersive installation from artist Gazoo opening at de Plume gallery in East Hollywood this Saturday. The large-scale installation, is designed to transport visitors into a 360° retro-future dimension created from tape, lighting, and sound. FREE
14. Enjoy a snow day in Diamond Bar at the annual Winter Snow Fest. Over 100 tons of snow will provide hours of sledding on four hills and other wintery fun.
15. Iron Triangle turns two this Saturday with an epic BBQ Showdown where you decide the winner. $20 gets you a three item plate from competitors Moo’s Craft Barbecue and Peaches’ Smokehouse & Southern Kitchen, feast and then vote for your favorite. The BBQ starts at 1 p.m. and concludes at 6 p.m. or until the food runs out. Iron Triangle will also have new beers on tap including Sluice Gate IPA, Blasting Cap Vienna Lager, Stock and Trade: English Pub Ale on Nitro and Barrel Aged Jawbone Stout.
16. There’s an extra cute and powerful art show titled I Am Extraordinary curated by Bored Inc. happening at Leanna Lin’s Wonderland in Eagle Rock. The group show will feature 28 female artists and a portion of the sales will be donated to Planned Parenthood Los Angeles and She Should Run. FREE
17. ‘Mike Kelley: Kandors 1999 – 2011,’ will close this weekend at Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles. To celebrate, the gallery will host free musical performances inspired by Kelly from anti-rock noise bands Extended Organ, Lonely Street, and telecaves. FREE
18. The 4th Annual SoCal Retro Gaming Expo happening January 20-21 in City of Industry is an all-ages event featuring retro games, toys, merchandise, and much more.
19. The International Printing Museum presents Benjamin Franklin’s Electric Birthday Celebration a day of honoring the life of one of the famous creator and thinker in history.
20. Dance The Odyssey Theatre is a month-long celebration of the art form. This weekend the theatre will present Micaela Taylor + The TL Collective in “Rosewood.”
Sunday January 21st, 2018
21. The 3rd Annual Playa Provisions Snow Day is family friendly fun for kids and adults. There will be sledding and other wintery activities going on while the Playa Provisions team grill up hamburgers and hot dogs all afternoon. As for dessert folks can gather around the fire pits to create their very own s’mores.
22. 826LA will present Pigs Will Fly!, a kids art project workshop, at The Hammer Museum. Kiddos will have a chance to illustrate and journal the adventures of pigs and piglets and their attempts to fly. Recommended for children ages 8 through 14 but all kids are welcomed if accompanied by an adult. FREE
23. Massive foodie market Smorgasburg LA in Downtown Los Angeles is open every Sunday and brings a massive roster of indie food pop ups, merchandise vendors and more at ROW DTLA. This weekend Beat Swap Meet and Smorgasburg LA will host Record Fair, a new monthly event taking place every third Sunday.
24. Head to Angel City Brewery for Go Fact Yourself a live podcast taping featuring comedians, actors and musicians answering questions on topics they claim to be experts in while the real experts on hand weight in and give us all the real facts. FREE
25. Take in a few laughs at the end of the weekend at Cool Beans Comedy at the Ice House in Pasadena. FREE
26. Friendship Buddies is a weekly stand-up comedy show at the Verdugo Bar in Glassell Park. Come hangout in the back patio, enjoy a cocktail, and LOL to outstanding stand-up comedians in Los Angeles. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com