Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (July 28 – July 30) includes a giant RickMobile, Summer Nights at NHM, Politicon, the Long Beach Crawfish Festival, Summer Happenings at The Broad, a Johnny Ramone Tribute at Hollywood Forever Cemetery, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday July 28th, 2017
1. Long Beach Crawfish Festival returns to Rainbow Lagoon Park from July 28 to 30, with dancing to live music, the Second Line Parade, dance lessons, karaoke, fresh crawfish, Cajun food, chicory coffee, beignets and adult beverages. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. Feast on L.A.’s best Asian and Asian-influenced cuisine when Lucky Rice’s Los Angeles Feast rolls into town. Hosted at the Cathedral of Saint Vibiana in DTLA the food festival will showcase the most popular foods from Asia’s eating capitals as interpreted by local chefs and mixologists.
3. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with a screening of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy at The Montalban in Hollywood.
4. Calling all Rick and Morty fans: There’s a giant RickMobile rolling into town this Friday and Saturday with a pop up shop offering limited supply of clothes, figures and more. Catch it at A Shop Called Quest in Los Angeles on Friday and Earth-2 Comics in Northrdige on Saturday.
5. Any weirdly obsessed Tom Cruise fans out there? Tom Gun LIVE: A Maverick’s Homage brings a raucous interactive parody show to the Regent chalked full of karaoke sing-a-longs, dance offs, audience fueled paper airplane battles, missiles zip-lining through the crowd, and much more.
6. Enjoy beautiful evenings under the stars when Summer Nights in the Garden returns to Natural History Museum with cocktails, music, botanical tours, fun projects and more.
7. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with DJ Nights curated by Valida at Grand Park. FREE
8. Pershing Square continues their free summer movie screenings this Friday with World War Z. FREE
9. The Last Book Review returns to The Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles. Join host Ever Mainard and five comedians as they tell their own personal, funny and often awkward story on stage. The last comedian will then take the audience through a book review. FREE
10. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Wilson Park in Torrance. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
11. Eco friendly hot yoga studio Modo Yoga hosts donation based Karma Classes every Friday at their La Brea and Echo Park locations.
12. Head over to California Market Center, in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles’ Garment District, for a public sample sale to score fantastic bargains on current styles for women, men and kids. Happening on the last Friday of every month.
13. Friday night is ‘Selena Night’ at Echoplex. Admission is $8 if you arrive before 10 p.m.
14. Catch a performance of Guys and Dolls at the Long Beach Playhouse. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Greenbar Distillery is hosting cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Friday with tequila and gin.
16. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series continues with Cairo Time (2009) at Distant Lands and School of Rock (2003) at One Colorado. FREE
17. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This week the series continues with La Linea. FREE
18. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series continues with a screening of Dirty Dancing on July 28-29.
Saturday July 29th, 2017
19. Summer Happenings at The Broad returns with contemporary art, music and performances in a one of a kind late-night environment. This Saturday the series begins with a night dedicated to Takashi Murakami with performances by Devendra Banhart, Afrirampo and more.
20. Politicon 2017 at the Pasadena Convention Center (July 29-30) will feature panels, debates, screenings, comedy shows and a place where passionate citizens can openly discuss the current political climate. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features two screenings on Saturday: The Hunger Games 5th Anniversary at Central Park Glendale and Wayne’s World 25th Anniversary at Poinsettia Rec Park West Hollywood. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. One special Saturday every month Griffith Observatory hosts a free public star party to highlight interest in observing the cosmos. The event is a great chance to try out a variety of telescopes, check out visible objects of our solar system, and perhaps best of all the parties provide a forum to exchange ideas and talk to knowledgeable amateur astronomers. FREE
23. Outdoor summer concert series Off the 405 at the Getty Center showcases today’s hottest bands while surrounded by some of the most beautiful gardens, views and architecture in Los Angeles. This weekend Steve Gunn will perform. FREE
24. The Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor will host The Sinister Circus a ghoulish night where guests can dance the night away in the company of ominous spirits at a haunted costume ball. The event will also provide guests with a preview of the Dark Harbor experience coming this fall. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. The Earth Focus Environmental Film Festival, is an entire day of free movies and talks aiming to spread awareness about healing our planet touching upon timely topics like Standing Rock, water and power in California, and climate change. Happening at Hollywood’s iconic Egyptian Theatre. FREE
26. Midsummer Scream Halloween Festival at Long Beach Convention Center (July 29-30) offers walk-through haunted attractions, theatrical performances, makeup demos and workshops, a huge themed marketplace and more. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Saturday they’ll take over the Annenberg Space for Photography with performances by Rodrigo y Gabriela and Natalia Lafourcade. FREE
28. Stars from the stage and screen will pay tribute to the iconic powerhouse voice of the late and great Amy Winehouse. Taking place at the Rockwell Table & Stage watch stars belt out her famous tunes and lesser known gems and raise a glass to her memory. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Movies on the Green bring free screenings of popular films to the Lou Bredlow Pavilion in Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills every Saturday in the summer. This weekend they will screen La La Land. FREE
30. Love Long Beach 2017 returns for its 4th annual two-day festival on July 29 and 30 with a weekend of musical magic, DJs, arts and crafts, food court, vendors, a Healing Arts Village (with yoga, sound bath healing, flow and speakers) and more at Shoreline Aquatic Park.
31. Check out the 55th Annual California Watermelon Festival at the Hansen Dam Soccer Fields in Lake View Terrace on July 29-30. The annual community event features watermelon-themed activities like watermelon skiing, free watermelon, cooking demos, carnival rides, games, contests, live entertainment and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. In honor of National Dance Day, The Music Center is hosting a free, all-day dance event at Grand Park in hopes to make dancing more accessible to all people. During the day dance enthusiasts and beginners can watch, join in on a dance and enjoy various activities. FREE
33. Delicious Pizza will host a screening of Downtown 81 starring artist Jean Michel Basquiat in their West Adams location. FREE
34. Pershing Square kicks off their free summer concerts this weekend Los Lonely Boys will perform. FREE
35. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of Young Frankenstein at The Autry Museum.
36. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Wednesday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
38. Greenbar Distillery is hosting cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Saturday with Coffee cocktails.
39. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This week the series continues with Mothership Landing. FREE
40. Movie Picnic Night at Alhambra Park is a free Chinese outdoor movie showcasing Chinese language films with subtitles and popular American films. This weekend they will screen Secret Life of Pets. FREE
41. The Electric Dusk Drive-In is back at the LACCD Van De Kamp college campus. This weekend they will screen JAWS. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Sunday July 30th, 2017
42. The Johnny Ramone Tribute returns to Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Sunday. Highlights include an amazing display of Ramones art by Shepard Fairey, Shag and Lucas David; an exhibition of rare, never-before-seen Ramones memorabilia from the collections of Johnny and Tommy Ramone; and acoustic live music from Billy Idol and the Sex Pistols’ Steve Jones. This year’s tribute will include a short ceremony in honor of Johnny’s close friend Chris Cornell, whose final resting place is at Hollywood Forever right next to Johnny’s.
43. Angeleno magazine’s Live & Dine LA event returns to the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica featuring culinary demos from award-winning chefs, refreshing artisanal cocktails and delicious wines. Restaurants include The Bazaar by José Andrés, Baltaire, The Butcher’s Daughter, Del Frisco’s Grille, The District by Hannah An, Eataly, Mama Lion, Manuela, The Polo Lounge, Salazar, Sawyer and dozens more. Libations from Accomplice Bar, Birds & Bees, Calyx Gin, Cosa Salvaje Tequila, Lillet, San Antonio Winery and others will be on hand. Tickets cost $95 a person, the delicious afternoon will benefit the Los Angeles Mission.
44. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. The Two Gentlemen of Verona will be performed July 29-30, and then every Wednesday through Sunday from August 2 – September 3.
45. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with a screening of Rebel Without a Cause at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles.
46. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Sunday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].