After a long period of saccharine limbo, it appears that Candytopia will open in Los Angeles after all—well, sort of.
The sugary Instagram factory was supposed to open in December at the LA Hangar Studios in Boyle Heights, featuring several photographable, candy-themed rooms. During the press preview for that initial version we wandered a gallery of famous paintings recreated with candy; a pig that flatulated confetti; and a surprisingly deep pit made out of fake marshmallows.
Yet before the exhibit would receive its first paid customers, Candytopia announced it was postponing the show. What was originally anticipated as a short delay stretched into months, apparently over a lack of proper permits. Notably, Candytopia wasn’t the only social media-friendly walk-through exhibit to face issues; Happy Place was shut down over similar issues. In the wake of tragic incidents like the Ghost Ship fire in Oakland, cities are taking permitting seriously, as they should.
Via a statement released to Daily News, Candytopia organizers said their initial landlords “worked tirelessly” with the city, but could not reach a resolution. Candytopia finally revealed they’d be automatically refunding all ticket holders and moving to a new venue entirely.
That new location will be Santa Monica Place, an open-air mall not far from the Pier. Candytopia will open up on the second floor, near Bloomingdale’s. It seems like a mall would have all their permitting issues figured out, so here’s hoping this isn’t another debacle.
Tickets are on sale as of today. They’re released in 15-minute intervals and will cost you $30 for adults and $23 for children. The show kicks off on March 2 and runs through July 4.
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!