You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, February 24, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] It’s Bob Baker Day at the historic Bob Baker Marionette Theater. The day pays homage to the famed puppeteer with a carnival like event featuring live music, entertainment, puppet-making workshops, round-the-clock puppet shows, a pop-up puppet museum and lots more. FREE
2. [10 a.m.] Stop by the Firecracker Festival in Los Angeles’ Chinatown for two days filled with friendly-competition, carnival games, food trucks and more.
3. [10 a.m.] Meet travel celebs like PBS’ Rick Steves and Samantha Brown, learn how to pack well and decide where to go for your next trip during the Los Angeles Travel & Adventure Show at the Los Angeles Convention Center happening February 24-25. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [10 a.m.] QuiltCon 2018 takes over the Pasadena Convention Center from February 22-25 to see over 550 modern quilts on display, shop from specialty vendors and attend workshops and lectures led by experts.
5. [10 a.m.] The 27th Annual Alhambra Lunar New Year Celebration takes place this Saturday with a dragon/lion dance, magic show, petting zoo, food booths, a grand drum roll and much more. FREE
6. [11 a.m.] SAP Chili Cook Off returns to Santa Anita Park in Arcadia for a tasty competition in the categories of red chili, green chili, salsa, CASI (Chili Appreciation Society) chili, people’s choice, and most tasted. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. [2 p.m.] One special Saturday every month the Griffith Observatory hosts a free public star party to highlight interest in observing the cosmos. The event is a great chance to try out a variety of telescopes, check out visible objects of our solar system and exchange ideas and knowledge with amateur astronomers. FREE
8. [6 p.m.] de Plume Gallery presents SHADE, new works by New York Surrealist ClockWork Cros. Over 400 portraits of famous faces wearing sunglasses made of clocks will line the floor to ceiling of the gallery.
9. [6:30 p.m.] Celebrate like it’s 1928 during Venice Arts’ Annual Speakeasy at the Townhouse. The Prohibition-era Speakeasy which dates back to 1915 will feature complimentary whiskey tasting, appetizers and desserts from local restaurants, along with a silent auction, raffle prizes and other surprises.
10. [various] The world’s first premium cinematic VR chair, Voyager will screen three critically acclaimed short films at the Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles from February 19-25. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
DEAL OF THE DAY: $49 tix to Air + Style at Snowboarding & Music Fest at Exposition Park
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.