Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, July 17 to Friday, July 21, features Taste of the Farmers Markets, Melrose Rooftop Cinema, Concerts on the Bloc, LA Zoo Roaring Nights, the El Segundo Art Walk, Downtown Dark Nights, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday July 17th, 2017
1. Alcove in Los Feliz host free movie screenings on the third Monday of each month now till October. Snag a table and order some themed out cocktails from Big Bar and bites from Alcove as you watch a movie on a 17ft screen, in the beautiful garden patio. This month they will screen the radically hilarious Wayne’s World.
2. dineL.A. returns for summer with 15-days of celebrating Los Angeles restaurant culture from July 14 to 28. Angelenos and visitors alike will have the opportunity to enjoy prix-fixe menus from more than 300 of the city’s best eateries for special prices. Checkout our post The Best dineL.A. Menus for Summer 2017 (according to We Like L.A.) use it as a guide to your dineL.A. adventures.
3. Every third Monday of the month head to Santa Monica to the gorgeous Victorian to see Basement Comedy. This month’s headliners: J Chris Newberg & Chinedu.
4. The team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony by showcasing a rotating cast of award-winning magicians at The Santa Monica Playhouse. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. The Business LA is a free comedy show at Little Joy featuring some of the best local comics in town. FREE
Tuesday July 18th, 2017
6. Hollywood and Highland will be taken over by Summer Jazz Nights every Tuesday till August 8th. While the show is free, you can secure guaranteed seating, wine, beer and a selection of cheese for a donation of just $14. It’s all for a good cause as 100% of the proceeds go to Project Angel Food. This week Cameron Graves will perform.
7. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week with Good Fellas.
8. The 9th Annual Taste of Farmers Market comes to 3rd Street and Fairfax for a massive feast from some of your favorite restaurants inside the iconic open air market.
9. The Moonlight Movies on the Beach series continues with a screening of The Breakfast Club at Granada Beach this Tuesday. FREE
10. Free museum day at: Los Angeles County Arboretum (note: the tram doesn’t run on this day), South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens
Wednesday July 19th, 2017
11. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. Measure for Measure will be performed Wednesday through Sunday.
12. The Yamashiro Farmers Market returns with its signature nighttime market perched high atop the Hollywood hill. Yamashiro has one of the best views in Los Angeles and each Wednesday evening they host food trucks, farm fresh produce booths, wine, fresh baked goods, flowers and more.
13. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week with La La Land.
14. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Wednesday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Schabarum Regional Park in Rowland Heights . While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
Thursday July 20th, 2017
15. Grand Performances presents a special beer-centric evening with Ale Academy called Taste is (Almost) Everything – The Art and Science of Evaluating Beers sponsored by Angel City Brewery. FREE
16. The El Segundo Art Walk takes place every third Thursday of the summer months featuring 40+ artists in 35 venues, live music, great food and tours of artist studios in downtown El Segundo and in Smoky Hollow. FREE
17. The Silver Lake Picture Show returns with free outdoor movie screenings in the heart of Silver Lake at Sunset Triangle Plaza. This week: A League of Their Own will be screened . FREE
18. Take a Downtown Los Angeles foodie walking tour and savor what the bustling neighborhood has to offer. The tour is three hours long, participants will stop at six popular spots to eat and the tour guide will take folks through the history of DTLA. Happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. Concerts on The Bloc in Downtown Los Angeles is a free summer concert series with free beer in the mix! Curated by Sofar Sounds, the series continues with performances by Chris Scholar, Flavia and BRAEVES. FREE
20. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at La Mirada Regional Park in La Mirada. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
21. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Thursday they’ll have two mega shows, one at the Hammer Museum with Elohim and Suzi Analogue and KCRW DJ Marion Hodges and the other at the Santa Monica Pier with Eric Burdon & The Animals, Mr. Elevator and Hosted by KCRW DJ Gary Calamar. FREE
22. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier will host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This weekend Modern Western band TennWest will perform. FREE
23. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series continues with Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) at Flower Pepper Gallery. FREE
24. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with Brainstory on Thursday. FREE
25. Spend an evening poolside and beneath the stars enjoying dinner, cocktails and a classic film as Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema returns with a screening of Sabrina.
26. City of San Gabriel’s annual Summer Night concerts & movies returns this week with Louie Cruz Beltran & His Jazz Ensemble at Mission Playhouse Plaza The Band Fresh. FREE
27. Summer Movie Fest at Cal State Northridge is a free weekly movie night taking place at dusk on CSUN’s Oviatt Library Lawn. The series continues with Rogue One. FREE
28. Free museum day at: Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (all day), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.) Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday July 21st, 2017
29. Downtown Dark Nights returns this Friday with a free soirée at L.A. LIVE that includes loads of entertainment like muralists, stilt walkers, street dancers and contortionists. Guests can also shop from local craft vendors and enjoy $5 drink and food menus at participating restaurants.
30. The L.A. Zoo’s annual Roaring Nights is back with an awesome assortment of music, food trucks, animal encounters, new exhibits and more. This week’ theme is country, guests are encouraged to dress up! Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with Dance Downtown Bollywood at Grand Park. FREE
32. Pershing Square kicks off their free summer movie screenings this Friday leaning heavy on sci-fi and fantasy movies for the season. This week, Underworld will be screened. FREE
33. The 2nd Annual Delicious Little Tokyo returns to the heart of Little Tokyo Friday July 21 through Sunday July 23 for a historic neighborhood foodie experience. The weekend will feature culinary demos, food tours, workshops and one-of-kind activities at various Little Tokyo shops and eateries.
34. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. Eco friendly hot yoga studio Modo Yoga hosts donation based Karma Classes every Friday at their La Brea and Echo Park locations.
36. 626 Night Market comes to Santa Anita Park from July 21-23 for the largest Asia-themed night market in the United States. It will feature food, merchandise, crafts, arts, games, music, and entertainment.
37. Greenbar Distillery is hosting cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Friday with vodka and whiskey cocktails.
38. FYF Fest returns to Exposition Park in Downtown Los Angeles July 21-23 with a lineup featuring Missy Elliott, Björk, Frank Ocean, Nine Inch Nails and more.
39. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series continues with a screening of Grease on July 21-22.
40. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
41. Grand Performances presents Sidestepper and Buyepongo on Friday. FREE
42. The Petersen Automotive Museum will host an after hours event with an exclusive guided tour of the Petersen’s underground vault, which houses hundreds of rare vehicles. Guests will also enjoy a penthouse party on the rooftop, with complimentary cocktails and music by DJ Sam Kofa. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
43. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
44. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series continues with A Good Year at Distant Lands and Hugo at One Colorado. FREE
45. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with Mndsgn on Friday. FREE
46. Celebrate summer in Monterey Park with free outdoor movies with your friends and family. During Summer Movie Nights, five different parks in Monterey Park will host movie screenings. The series continues with The Lego Batman Movie at Sequoia Park – . FREE
47. Free museum day at: Long Beach Museum of Art
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]