Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, July 31 to Friday, August 4, features a sunset walk at Griffith Observatory, the Silver Lake Picture Show, the Brew at the Zoo, FIGat7th Downtown Festival, First Fridays and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday July 31st, 2017
1. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week, starting with LA Confidential on Monday.
2. Beer Society at Arts District Brewing Company will feature Third Window Brewing. Guests will have a chance to taste three marks while learning about the process of beer making.
3. The guys behind Delicious Vinyl (Mile and Rick Ross) has turned their pizza joint on West Adams Delicious Pizza into a cultural hub with a roster of events worth driving to. This Monday enjoy jazz in “The Yard,” with Keelan Walters in the restaurant’s lively outdoor garden area while taking a bite out of their naturally fermented dough pizzas, cinnamon roll bread pudding and refreshing sangria. FREE
4. The Business LA is a free comedy show at Little Joy featuring some of the best local comics in town. This time it’s a “cool girls” edition with Maria Bamford, Casey Jane Ellison, Nina Tarr and more. FREE
5. The team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony by showcasing a rotating cast of award-winning magicians at The Santa Monica Playhouse. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Tuesday August 1st, 2017
6. The Moonlight Movies on the Beach series continues with a screening of 50 First Dates at Granada Beach this Tuesday. FREE
7. Hollywood and Highland will be taken over by Summer Jazz Nights every Tuesday till August 8th. While the show is free, you can secure guaranteed seating, wine, beer and a selection of cheese for a donation of just $14. It’s all for a good cause as 100% of the proceeds go to Project Angel Food. This week Josh Johnson will perform.
8. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with a screening of Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles.
9. Shake it Off dance film series happening at the Hammer is a free event highlighting classic dance films every week and this week they kick off the series with Saturday Night Fever. FREE
10. Spend an evening poolside and beneath the stars enjoying dinner, cocktails and a classic film as Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema returns with a screening of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
11. Free museum days: Kidspace Museum (4 to 8 p.m.)
Wednesday August 2nd, 2017
12. Griffith Observatory offers a Sunset Walk & Talk one evening a month. At this event, learn about the park as you enjoy a sunset hike led by a Griffith Park park ranger and a museum guide. FREE
13. Sound Off Silent Disco is going down at the Sherman Oaks Galleria where partygoers will wear wireless-headphones and get immersed into a one of kind dance party featuring two live DJs. FREE
14. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Wednesday they’ll be performing Macbeth at CSU Dominguez Hills in Carons . While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
15. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week with Jurassic Park.
16. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park.The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
Thursday August 3rd, 2017
17. Lucha VaVOOMs Quinceañera show celebrates 15 years of action with Mexican style wrestling, comedic performances by hula hoop dancers, strip-tease performers, a Quinceañera pageant, special guests and much more.
18. Marina del Rey’s Summer Concert Series continues through August at Burton Chace Park. On Thursday, Matthew Morrison takes the stage. FREE
19. The Silver Lake Picture Show returns with free outdoor movie screenings in the heart of Silver Lake at Sunset Triangle Plaza. This week: District 9 will be screened . FREE
20. Rockwell Table & Stage presents The Unauthorized Musical Parody of Bridesmaids a hilarious musical parody of one of the best chick flicks ever to hit the big screen. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with a screening of Raiders Of The Lost Ark at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and L.A. Confidential at The Montalban in Hollywood.
22. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Thursday they’ll takeover the Santa Monica Pier with Valerie June, Irma Thomas and KCRW DJ Aaron Byrd. FREE
23. The Moonlight Movies on the Beach series continues with a screening of Jaws at Cherry Beach this Thursday. FREE
24. City of San Gabriel’s annual Summer Night concerts & movies returns this week with Movie in the Park: Lego Batman at Vincent Lugo Park. FREE
25. Summer Movie Fest at Cal State Northridge is a free weekly movie night taking place at dusk on CSUN’s Oviatt Library Lawn. The series continues with The Breakfast Club. FREE
26. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Thursday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
27. The 2017 season of the Skirball’s free Sunset Concert Series, inspired by the Skirball’s current high-profile exhibition Paul Simon: Words & Music, is a showcase for up-and-coming talents and established artists from Los Angeles and around the globe. The series continues with Ibibio Sound Machine FREE
28. Shakespeare’s enchanting A Midsummer Night’s Dream returns to Topanga Canyon’s Theatricum Botanicum for ten performances throughout the summer with their signature production in a uniquely rustic outdoor theater surrounded by oak trees.
29. Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center, and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday August 4th, 2017
30. FIGat7th Downtown Festival will return to transform the popular shopping destination into an intimate music venue with live performances by leading pop, rock, American roots, soul and alternative artists. FREE
31. Brew at the Zoo comes to the Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens this Friday for an evening of beer tasting from local craft and microbreweries. Sip suds while you enjoy live music, pop-up zoo keeper talks, and close-up animal encounters. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. Garbage Pail Groundlings is the latest main stage show at the renowned LA theater. The show is filled with sketch comedy, improv and a cast of growing comedians who’ve made appearances in movies like Ted and television shoes like Workaholics. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. Join Indiana Jones at the Hollywood Bowl when Raiders of the Lost Ark gets played in HD on the Bowl’s jumbo screens, accompanied by the Los Angeles Philharmonic, performing John Williams’ iconic film score. Happening August 4 and Saturday, August 5.
34. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with a screening of Moonlight at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them at The Montalban in Hollywood.
35. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with a Disco themed dance night at Grand Park. FREE
36. There’s a Lion King Sing-Along happening this weekend at the El Capitan Theatre. Bonus: Timon the beloved Meerkat is set to make a special appearance before each show. Taking place all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. City of Monterey Park presents Summer Movie Nights a movie series taking place at five different parks in Monterey Park during the summer. This week they will screen Finding Dory in a truly special space at the Barnes Park pool! Bring your bathing suit and make it a swim night. FREE
38. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Garfield Park in South Pasaden. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
39. Pershing Square continues their free summer movie screenings this Friday with The 6th Day. FREE
40. Take a Downtown Los Angeles foodie walking tour and savor what the bustling neighborhood has to offer. The tour is three hours long, participants will stop at six popular spots to eat and the tour guide will take folks through the history of DTLA. Happening Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
42. The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
43. The San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights will feature a retro drive-in, screening movies connected to the SFV. Guests can enjoy pre-show music, surprise guests, and themed out entertainment.
44. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
45. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series continues with a screening of Pitch Perfect on August 4 and 5.
46. Free museum days: Norton Simon Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Pasadena Museum of California Art (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].