Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, August 1 to Friday, August 5, features DancerPalooza, the VRLA Expo, Brew at the Zoo, the LB Crawfish Festival, a macabre collection at LACMA the return of Runyon Canyon, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 1st, 2016
1. Over 500 of Guillermo del Toro’s personal collection of macabre items are displayed at LACMA now till November 27.
2. Come on out to Angel City Brewery in DTLA’s Arts District as they host one epic game night that includes 15+ Board Games, 8+ beers on tap, a 3-round cornhole Tournament and one geeky host. FREE
3. Every week the the team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony with Magic Monday at The Santa Monica Playhouse. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. DancerPalooza taking place August 1-7 is a one-of-a kind dance festival featuring a expo hall, live performances, workshops and more. Be sure to check for discounted tickets on select dates before you make your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Tuesday August 2nd, 2016
5. Runyon Canyon Park, which has been closed for some 4 months during an improvement project, will officially reopen to the public this coming Tuesday! FREE
6. Sweet Rose Creamery in Studio City is hosting free summer screenings every Tuesday. This week they will screen Little Rascals. FREE
7. Roundabout Theatre Company’s production of Cabaret comes to the Hollywood Pantages. This Tony-winning musical takes you into the Kit Kat Klub where a unground cabaret plays escape from pre-WWII Berlin. DISCOUNTED Tuesday through Sunday (via Goldstar)
8. The 33rd Annual Nation Night Out will take place on August 2 in part with the L.A. Police Department and L.A. County. The annual campaign helps to promote police-community relations through events like block parties, cookouts, neighborhood walks, safety fairs and more. FREE
9. Broadway Sings Disney is a powerhouse concert developed from the Walt Disney catalog’s 80-plus years of magical music. From Steamboat Willie, to Frozen’s “Let It Go,” happening at the Rockwell Table & Stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Kidspace Children’s Museum is free this Tuesday from 4 to 8 p.m. FREE
Wednesday August 3rd, 2016
11. Descanso Gardens End of Summer Festival is a truly magical evening of music, stargazing, and cocktails as you explore the gardens after hours.
12. Shakespeare in the Park offers free donation-based Shakespeare performance at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park this month “The Tempest” will run Wednesdays through Sundays. FREE
13. Above Sixty is hosting a FREE movie night every Wednesday now through Sept. 28. This week they will screen Top Gun. FREE
14. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a performance of Othello at Adventure Park Wednesday; Cymbeline at Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills Thursday and Cymbeline in Garfield Park in Pasadena. FREE
15. Grand Central Market is hosting FREE movie screenings at Horse Thief BBQ’s patio featuring cult classic favorites all summer. This week its Big. FREE
16. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
17. Vinoteque on Melrose hosts a trivia night on their patio every Wednesday at 8p.m. FREE
Thursday August 4th, 2016
18. As part of KCRW Summer Nights the Twilight Concerts at Santa Monica Pier will feature Natalia Lafourcade with Monsieur Perine Hosted by KCRW DJ Raul Campos. 7-10 p.m. FREE
19. Drag Queen Bingo takes place every first and third Thursday of the month during Grand Central Market game night! FREE
20. Skirball Cultural Center is hosting their 20th annual Sunset Concerts series featuring an array of contemporary and experimental artists showcasing sounds from a variety of genres. FREE
21. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3.
22. Classical Nights at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philharmonic concert series continues with Stravinsky’s Firebird this Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Superman this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Sizzling Summer Nights continue at the Autry’s outdoor patio featuring some of LA’s best salsa and Latin fusion bands. Guests will enjoy weekly free dance lessons with award-winning salsa instructor Enio Cordoba, as well as margaritas, tacos and more.
25. The annual International Surf Festival is back with four days of beach events and activities. Surfing competitions start Saturday.
26. ABC’s Greatest Hits Live Finale is a live televised performance at Microsoft Theatre. Comedian Arsenio Hall and country singer Kelsea Ballerini will hosts and performers like Ariana Grande, Adam Lambert, Nelly, Sheryl Crow and Richard Marx will take the stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Free Museums This Thursday
- The Japanese American National Museum offers free admission from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. every Thursday. FREE
- Every Thursday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. admission is free to both the MOCA on Grand and The Geffen Contemporary. FREE
- The Skirball Cultural Center is free to all every Thursday. FREE
Friday August 5th, 2016
28. Booze it up with animals when Brew at the Zoo returns for a summer evening of beer tastings from 50 local breweries after hours at the Los Angeles Zoo. Look for discount tickets before you purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. The Virtual Reality Los Angeles Summer Expo (August 5-6) will feature fascinating innovations and the world’s first ever VR Rave! Reggie Watts is the keynote speaker Saturday!
30. The Nike 3ON3 Tournament, California’s largest outdoor 3-on-3 basketball tournament, returns to L.A. LIVE for the weekend of August 5-7
31. The Long Beach Crawfish Festival is back at Rainbow Lagoon Park. The festival features live entertainment, dance floors, specialty drinks and crawfish.
32. Americana musician Ryan Adams and this band The Shining will perform at the Greek. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. The 4th Annual G2 Green Earth Film Festival will be held at the G2 Gallery in Venice on August 5 – 7 for a free weekend of environmental film screenings, panel discussions, receptions, and much more. FREE
34. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors alongside a live band or DJ. This week it will be salsa at The Music Center Plaza! FREE
35. Enjoy a peaceful evening under the stars while enjoying refreshing nature-inspired cocktails and good tunes at Natural History Museum’s Summer Nights in the Garden. FREE
36. Summertime Cinema at Westfield Culver City will screen Starwars The Force Awakens. FREE
37. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
38. Presented by Arts Brookfield every Friday night the FIGat7th plaza will host free concerts for the public spanning multiple music genres all summer. FREE
39. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED all weekend (via Goldstar)
40. 626 Night Market will take over Santa Anita Park with food vendors offering unique cuisine and merchandise, along with fun activities for all ages.
41. 5th Annual Ribs, Pigs, & Watermelons Beer Festival & Pro BBQ Competition takes over Huntington Beach for three days. Grill masters from all over the country will compete and you’ll be the testers, theres also AYCE watermelon and other melon activities.
42. The 63rd Annual Kids Fishing Rodeo is a fishing contest where kids also get the chance to learn how to fish. You must bring your own supplies like a rod and reel, the organizers will provide bait and tackle. FREE
43. The Bailey Blue one day sale is happening from 11 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. score dresses, skirts, and tops for $9! Location: 1850 E 15th St Unit B Los Angeles, CA 90021
44. The Labyrinth Masquerade Ball is a two night event filled with some of the finest costumers, artists and of course magic at the Historic Millennium Biltmore.
45. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
- Norton Simon Museum is free this Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. FREE
- Pasadena Museum of California Art is free this Friday from noon to 5 pm. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].