Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Aug. 15 to Friday, Aug. 19, features Date Night at the Museum of Broken Relationships, Echo Park Rising, The Silver Lake Picture Show, the Long Beach BBQ Festival, a Chocolate & Art Show , and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 15th, 2016
1. We Like L.A. is co-hosting a very special ‘Date Night’ at the Museum of Broken Relationships Los Angeles TONIGHT! No date is necessary. Bring a friend or even your ex if you want! Tickets online are now sold out but we will release about 50 tickets at the door.
UPDATE: The Museum has told us guests can start queuing up around 7 p.m. for tickets to get into the event.
2. The Music Center’s Moves After Dark returns for a ‘off-night’ of performances where audience members are asked to travel wherever the dancers are performing and select their own vantage point. Happening Aug. 15-17.
3. On the third Monday of each month Alcove hosts a free movie screening under the stars with themed food and drinks. This week it’s Royal Tenenbaums. FREE
4. Every third Monday of the month head to Santa Monica to the gorgeous Victorian at The Basement Tavern to see top comedy headliners for free! This month Bret Ernst and Quincy Jones will take the stage. FREE
5. Get nocturnal at the Aquarium of the Pacific after hours see ocean jellies light up, touch a shark and observe a variety of fascinating sea creatures in the Ocean Science Center. The entire aquarium is open and discount tickets can be found for August 15 through 18. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Nisei Week is back for it’s 76th year, the Japanese festival will take place in Little Tokyo from August 13-21 with community events, cultural exhibits, performances, tea ceremonies, martial art tournaments and more. FREE
7. Get your groove on during the West Hollywood Dance Festival at Plummer Park’s Fiesta Hall. The six-day celebration of smooth moves will offer free and ticketed performances, workshops, open rehearsals, classes and more.
8. The 12th annual HollyShorts Film Festival is back with screenings of feature films, conferences, parties and more from August 11 through August 20.
9. From workshops to industry panels to actual standup shows there is something there for all comedy lovers during the Burbank Comedy Festival happening August 14-20.
Tuesday August 16th, 2016
10. If you are a college student with a valid ID stop by Rudy’s Barbershop in Studio City from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and get a free haircut before heading back to school! FREE
11. Moonlight Movies on the Beach screenings take place at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore. This week it’s Toy Story. FREE
12. Guided Sunset Walk at the Griffith Observatory is a free event lead by a Park Ranger and Museum Guide. Runs 7:50-8:50 p.m. FREE
13. Sweet Rose Creamery in Studio City is hosting free summer screenings every Tuesday. This week they will screen Stand By Me. FREE
14. Broadway Sings Disney is a powerhouse concert developed from the Walt Disney catalog’s 80-plus years of magical music. From Steamboat Willie, to Frozen’s “Let It Go,” happening at the Rockwell Table & Stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
16. Free Museums This Tuesday
- On every third Tuesday of the month Descanso Gardens is free of charge. FREE
- Los Angeles County Arboretum is also free on the third Tuesdays of every month. FREE
- The South Coast Botanic Garden has free admission every third Tuesday of the month. FREE
Wednesday August 17th, 2016
17. Enjoy a sunset nature walk! Every Wednesday through out the month of August, Descanso Gardens will provide free admission from 5 – 8 p.m. FREE
18. Shakespeare in the Park offers free donation-based Shakespeare performance at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park this month “The Tempest” will run Wednesdays through Sundays. FREE
19. Above Sixty is hosting a FREE movie night every Wednesday now through Sept. 28. This week they will screen Point Break. FREE
20. Head over to Downtown Culver City for the city’s Third Wednesdays Spiked Punch event where folks get to sample free punch (spiked and un spiked) at any participating business along the thriving downtown area. FREE
Thursday August 18th, 2016
21. L.A. Moon Walk is a pop-up art installation inspired by the moon. Take a walk through the curated art areas, view the night sky and rising full Moon through Celestron telescopes, capture memories in the free photo booth and check out special guests Bill Nye, Robert Picardo, John Davis, and more!
22. Now in it’s 6th annual season, Echo Park Rising (Aug. 18-21) is back with some of the coolest local bands and artist in the city. Headliners for 2016 include Chicano Batman, La Luz, the Weirdos and dozens more. Concerts will be hosted at venues throughout Echo Park and will include multiple music stages. FREE
23. Take a three-hour Downtown Los Angeles Food Walking Tour thats part history, architecture, and food! You’ll get plenty of chances to grab a bite from seven unique eateries so come hungry. Happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. As part of KCRW Summer Nights the Twilight Concerts at Santa Monica Pier will featureMavis Staples with The Suffers, Hosted by KCRW DJ Gary Calamar 7-10 p.m. FREE
25. The Silver Lake Picture Show is a free, summer-long community series that screens popular films in a picnic-like setting at Sunset Triangle Plaza. This week they are screening Shaolin Soccer FREE
26. Classical Nights at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philharmonic concert series continues with Mozart and Schumann. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Get a taste of Old Hollywood and sip on classic cocktails with the Historic Hollywood: Stars & Bars Gang as they recall Hollywood tales and history. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. JazzPOP 2016 is back with jazz and improvised music featuring three unique composers, artists and music masters every Thursday this month at the Hammer Museum. FREE
29. Skirball Cultural Center is hosting their 20th annual Sunset Concerts series featuring an array of contemporary and experimental artists showcasing sounds from a variety of genres. FREE
30. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3. FREE
32. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Batman: Mask of the Phantasm this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. Sizzling Summer Nights continue at the Autry’s outdoor patio featuring some of LA’s best salsa and Latin fusion bands. Guests will enjoy weekly free dance lessons with award-winning salsa instructor Enio Cordoba, as well as margaritas, tacos and more.
34. Pete’s Dragon soars into the El Capitan Theatre with Disneys latest live action tale of a boy and his dragon. Guest can also view a special dragon exhibit featuring Dragons from Disney movies and theme parks including Pete’s Dragon to the purple dragon Figment in Fantasmic at Epcot. DISCOUNTED Thursday through Sunday (via Goldstar)
35. Free Museums This Thursday
- The Pasadena Museum of California Art has free admission from 5 to 8 p.m. on the third Thursday of every month. FREE
- The Japanese American National Museum offers free admission from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. every Thursday. FREE
- Every Thursday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. admission is free to both the MOCA on Grand and The Geffen Contemporary. FREE
- The Skirball Cultural Center is free to all every Thursday. FREE
Friday August 19th, 2016
36. The Chocolate and Art Show Los Angeles Edition comes to The Vortex August 19-20 for an underground art show featuring some amazing up-and-coming artists and chocolate loads and loads of it.
37. The Long Beach BBQ Festival features some of the world’s finest BBQ, including an official KCBS Professional BBQ Competition, live comedy and music, dance floor, children’s area, arts and crafts, cantinas and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. The folks at Zocalo Public Square are getting all cinematic on us this summer with an outdoor movie series in downtown Los Angeles. This week they will screen Barbershop. FREE
39. The Queen Mary is one of the best landmarks of Art Deco style, and guests will have a chance to see it in all it’s glory during the 12th annual Art Deco festival occurring from Aug. 19-21. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
40. A free collaborative celebration of beer, food, music and unique art, Cook, Collaborate and Listen Los Angeles will take over The Container Yard in DTLA this Friday. FREE
41. Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminal will play a show at the iconic Hollywood Bowl with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. The three-time grammy winner will play hits from the past as well as songs from the new album Call It What It is. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
42. Tease, If You Please Burlesque Show staged at Globe Theatre spotlights acts from some of the most creative dancers in the business. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
43. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is a all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Inside Out. FREE
44. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED Friday and Saturday (via Goldstar)
45. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a performance of Othello at Point Fermin Park. FREE
46. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors alongside a live band or DJ. This week it will be salsa at The Music Center Plaza! FREE
47. Odd Nights At The Autry feature a collection of over 200 vendors from 20 gourmet food trucks, a beer garden, custom handmade treasures and live local bands.
48. Presented by Arts Brookfield every Friday night the FIGat7th plaza will host free concerts for the public spanning multiple music genres all summer. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].