Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Aug. 29 to Friday, Sep. 2, features a Latte Art Throwdown, a Pokemon GO Tournament at The Wiltern, Hello Kitty Night at Dodger Stadium, the LA County Fair and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 29th, 2016
1. Hedley & Bennett is throwing a free carnival to celebrate their 4th birthday featuring DJs, pop-up shops, food vendors and lots of fun games. FREE
2. Hot Tub with Kurt & Kristen at The Virgil featuring a lineup that includes guest host Emily Maya Mills with Eliza Cossio, Alex Edelman, Ron Funches, Andrew Michaan and DJ Real.
3. Come on out to Angel City Brewery in DTLA’s Arts District as they host one epic game night that includes 15+ Board Games, 8+ beers on tap, a 3-round cornhole Tournament and one geeky host. FREE
4. Romantic Encounters is a monthly storytelling show at UCB by Melinda Hill featuring celebrated comedians sharing their funniest love and sex stories. This month guests are Laura House, B. Mark Seabrooks, and Drew Droege.
5. Every week the the team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony with Magic Monday at The Santa Monica Playhouse. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Tuesday August 30th, 2016
6. Popular series Rooftop Cinema Club is back with three screenings this week. Happening on the rooftop of the Ricardo Montalbán Theatre guests are provided headphones and lawn chairs to relax on. Food and drinks are available for purchase and the views are free! Screenings this week include Seven Psychopaths on Tuesday, American Beauty on Wednesday and Top Gun Thursday.
7. The UCLA Hammer Museum is holding a variety of free politically themed screenings and talks. This week they will screen Recount at 7:30 p.m.
8. Honor William Shakespeare’s death with Bramwell Tovey and the LA Philharmonic as they provide the score to some of the bards most famous plays at the Hollywood Bowl.
9. Sweet Rose Creamery in Studio City is hosting free summer screenings every Tuesday. This week they will screen Dirty Dancing. FREE
10. LAMILL Coffee will host their first ever Latte Art Throwdown this Tuesday at their Silver Lake shop location. The competition is free to attend for all on lookers with a $5 buy in for competitors.
11. Spend an evening beneath the stars at Mr.C’s Poolside Cinema. Enjoying dinner, cocktails, popcorn and a classic film on the gorgeous deck of the Beverly Hills hotel. This week they will screen Chef.
12. Escape Room LA: The Theatre has you trapped inside a creepy theater haunted by a ghost. The only way out is to uncover clues and puzzles to release the ghost before time runs out. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Sip Rosé on the rooftop of The London West Hollywood as you take a guided painting class led by international artist Gage John Lazare.
14. Moonlight Movies on the Beach screenings take place at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore. This week it’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens. FREE
15. Head to Grand Park for a free weekly afternoon workout session put on by Operation Boot Camp. FREE
16. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
Wednesday August 31st, 2016
17. Indie band Glass Animals in collaboration with Tumblr IRL will host a free concert and immersive art show at The Village Studios. FREE
18. Enjoy a sunset nature walk! Every Wednesday through out the month of August, Descanso Gardens will provide free admission from 5 – 8 p.m. FREE
19. Shakespeare in the Park offers free donation-based Shakespeare performance at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park this month “The Tempest” will run Wednesdays through Sundays. FREE
20. The Huntington Library will hold 90-minute specialty walking tours that include Chinese Garden Tour, Estate Tour and the Japanese Garden Tour. Your ticket also includes admission to all The Huntington art exhibitions, botanical gardens and library. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. Above Sixty is hosting a FREE movie night every Wednesday now through Sept. 28. This week they will screen Raiders Of The Lost Ark. FREE
22. The South Park 20 Experience opened this month at The Paley Center in Beverly Hills. Check out the foul mouth characters 20 years of anitics all under one roof. FREE
Thursday September 1st, 2016
23. Head over to the Wiltern Theatre for a special Pokémon GO tournament. Trainers will be able to compete for a chance to win a limited edition Wiltern Gym Badge in the Los Angeles Region. Admission for the meet-up is free, just RVSP! FREE
24. As part of KCRW Summer Nights the Twilight Concerts at Santa Monica Pier will feature Unknown Mortal Orchestra with Steady Holiday, Hosted by KCRW DJ Dan Wilcox. 7-10 p.m.. FREE
25. The Silver Lake Picture Show is a free, summer-long community series that screens popular films in a picnic-like setting at Sunset Triangle Plaza. This week they are screening Super Troopers. FREE
26. Classical Nights at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philharmonic concert series continues with the theme Shakespeare at the Bowl. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. The 5th Annual Sunset & Dine event showcases resturants in the surrounding Hollywood and Vine area in a festival like setting with live music and entertainment curated by Ameba Records.
28. Will Geer’s Theatricum “Under the Oaks” is outdoor music series occurring every Thursday in September featuring prominent local and unique bands, artists and entertainers. This week spend an evening of song with actress Judy Norton.
29. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Drag Queen Bingo takes place every first and third Thursday of the month during Grand Central Market game night! FREE
31. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Galaxy Quest this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. Now in its 52nd year Cinecon Classic Film Festival will host five days of special screenings of rare and restored films at the historic Egyptian Theatre.
33. Arts District gallery Hauser Wirth & Schimmel’s ‘After 5’ weekly music series continues this week. Guests will be able to enjoy a mix of live bands and DJ sets, craft cocktails from The Spare Room, plus Russian hand-pies from the Airstream kitchen of Pirozhki LA. Guest will also be given access to the ARTBOOK bookstore and all current exhibitions.
34. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3. FREE
35. Tart will host Don’t Be a Drag a new weekly, live music event every Thursday featuring cocktail specials and performances from local drag queen Lady Red Couture. FREE
36. Free Museums This Thursday
- Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.)
- MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.)
- Skirball Cultural Center
- Huntington Library (note that you have to reserve passes for the free day in advance, and it books up fast. For this reason, we’d suggest you take a look at the free day for Oct. and start planning when you need to be online to grab the tix)
- Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m,)
Friday September 2nd, 2016
37. Guests can actually go on to the field for a spectacular fireworks show during Los Angeles Dodgers Friday Night Fireworks. This weekend the Dodgers are up against the Padres. On top of that it’s Hello Kitty night! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. The LA Times hosts The Taste, the ultimate epicurean pop-up and block party over Labor Day weekend, Sep 2-4, at the Paramount Pictures Studios backlot.
39. The Vegan Street Fair will host a night festival over Labor Day weekend (Sep. 2-3) at the Federal Bar in North Hollywood featuring some of the best vegan spots in LA.
40. The Groundlings Theatre will bring together their best sketches and troupe members for a night of epic proportions as they set out to put on their largest main stage show of the year called Groundlings Pledge Week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. The L.A. County Fair is back at the Fairplex starting this week and running till Sep. 25 experience rides, animals, food, shopping and a stellar concert series.
42. 626 Night Market will take over Santa Anita Park with food vendors offering unique cuisine and merchandise, along with fun activities for all ages Friday through Sunday.
43. Walk through a Hawaiian market place right in the heart of Venice Beach Sep. 2-5 when FLUX Hawaii General Store pops up with 70 island artisans and brands for your shopping pleasure. Workshops and other entertainment will be provided throughout the weekend. FREE
44. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
45. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors alongside a live band or DJ. This week the theme is Disco! FREE
46. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
47. Free Museums This Friday
- Norton Simon Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
- Pasadena Museum of California Art (noon to 5 pm)
- Long Beach Museum of Art
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]