You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, January 17, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] There’s a five day pop-up of Ed Ruscha Films on view at the Verle Annis Gallery. Runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. FREE
2. [1 p.m.] The Short Shorts Film Festival in Hollywood comes to the TCL Chinese 6 Theatres in Hollywood thanks to Japan House Los Angeles. This one-day film festival aims to showcase the world of Japanese and international short films through free screenings, live discussions, and presentations by industry leaders. FREE
3. [5 p.m.] There’s an opening reception for Women of Vision: National Geographic Photographers on Assignment at the Forest Lawn Museum in Glendale from 5 to 8 p.m. The traveling exhibition is on view until April 7, 2019. FREE
4. [5 p.m.] Live After 5 presented by the Downtown Long Beach Alliance takes place on the Third Thursday of every month from 5-9 p.m. with rotating downtown districts in the LBC being featured. Highlights include live music, art activations, entertainment for both adults and kids. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] Don’t Tell Comedy pops up in Venice this Thursday for a comedy show with secret performers in a secret location. Location will be emailed to ticket holders and it’s BYOB.
6. [7:30 p.m.] Pod Save America cohost Jon Favreau and Kandist Mallett, politics editor at Blavity will discuss the short- and long-term implications of November’s election this Thursday at The Hammer museum. Moderated by Shaniqua McClendon, political director for Crooked Media. FREE
7. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
8. [various] Free museum day: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m,) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
9. [various] Dreamscape Immersive, the latest contender in location-based virtual reality, has opened in the Westfield Century City mall with three unique adventures that include an alien zoo, a deep ocean dive and an action packed adventure to find a powerful jewel. Open seven days a week.
10. [various] dineL.A. returns Jan. 11-25 for two weeks of exclusive lunch and dinner menus at a laundry list of the city’s finest eateries. Check out our list of the Top 17 picks for this current run of dineL.A.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: Use promo code WELIKELA to get 2 tickets for $30 to Beautycon POP, now extended through January 31.
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar