You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Monday, October 28, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
NOTE: As you’re commuting and traveling around the city today (especially on the Westside), make sure to stay aware of the #GettyFire via updates on the LAFD website. If you want to sign up for alerts (always recommended!), you can go here.
1. [noon.] Merchants on Olvera Street will celebrate Dia de los Muertos for nine days starting October 25 through November 2. The festival will include altars on display, children’s workshops, face painting, and live entertainment. FREE
2. [2 p.m.] Monday Matinees: A Nightmare on Elm Street in 35mm at New Beverly Cinema.
3. [5 p.m.] The folks at Scratch|Bar presents Magic|Bar an evening of spooky illusions in a speakeasy setting led by bartender/magician Benjamin Schrader. Join him and a few of his world-famous magician friends for an unforgettable night, raise your “spooky” punch glass and indulge in some deliciously eerie finger foods. Happening October 28-29 and on Halloween.
4. [6 p.m.] High Voltage Magazine will join forces with Scum and Villainy Cantina to host a Universal Monsters board game night in Hollywood on Monday. There will be giveaways, board games, themed menu items and more.
5. [7:30 p.m.] There’s a free Monday Night Fiction Workshop at Beyond Baroque in Venice this Monday. The weekly workshop will be facilitated by author, screenwriter, playwright, and director Barra Grant. FREE
6. [8 p.m.] Trivia night at Red Lion Tavern.
7. [8:30 p.m.] E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood continues their stylish cinema series Melrose Rooftop Theatre with a screening of A Nightmare on Elm Street.
8. [9 p.m.] Jazz Eclectic, a weekly jazz night at the Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills. FREE
9. [various] Critically-acclaimed immersive VR experience THE VOID recently launched Nicodemus: Demon of Evanishment, the first original experience developed in conjunction with Ninja Theory Studio. The mission is for a few brave Angelenos. You will travel back over one hundred twenty years to a decaying Chicago World’s Fair and explore the abandoned exhibits in the dead of night. I forgot to mention the demon Nicodemus is on the loose and some of you might never return.
10. [various] Grand Park’s Dia de los Muertos celebration spans nine days (October 26 to November 3) with 35 ofrendes (alters), themed artwork from LORE Media and Arts displayed around the park and several special events on select days. FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $35 tix to the LA Haunted Hayride (via Goldstar)