You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, December 12, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [sunset] Grand Park’s Winter Glow is a free night time art experience covering 12 acres of Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles and the newly renovated Music Center Plaza. Whimsical artistic projections and light displays will illuminate paths and play off of the park’s most iconic elements. The holiday-inspired event will run nightly from Dec. 6 to 25. FREE
2. [5 p.m.] The Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts, art galleries and locals together every second Thursday of each month for a night of exploration. Take a detour to Grand Central Market for Art At The Market, there will be art for sale, artists creating live works, a live DJ and over 30 GCM vendors to enjoy. Both events are free to attend.
3. [5 p.m.] There’s a Winter Bazaar Holiday Night Market at Yamashiro Hollywood featuring a craft fair and market to get your holiday shopping done, a dazzling light festival, live music, food, seasonal cocktails, Santa photos and much more. All ages are welcome. Free admission.
4. [6 p.m.] Alcove | Big Bar hosts a Cocktail Movie Night Party with a screening of Home Alone complete with themed cocktails inspired by some of the best scenes in the movie. Reps from Maker’s Mark will be on hand before the screening for complimentary bourbon tastings.
5. [7 p.m.] In conjunction with The Broad’s latest exhibit Shirin Neshat: I Will Greet the Sun Again, there are ongoing free nights of performances featuring poets, scholars, and artists The series continues Thursday with award-winning Iranian-American poet, literary translator and playwright, Sholeh Wolpé. FREE
6. [7:30 p.m.] Support the next generation of documentary film makers by heading to Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles for the premiere of Cal State LA’s Community Impact Media Documentaries featuring student-directed short films focused on LA-based nonprofits, Inner City Law Center, and Media Done Responsibly. FREE
7. [8 p.m.] Frank Sinatra was born on December 12, 1915. He was also a regular at the legendary Formosa Cafe, along with pal Humphrey Bogart. This Thursday join the Formosa team (and sit in the same iconic red booths where Bogie and Frank once sat!) as they celebrate Frank’s birthday by singing his songs and drinking Bogart Spirits.
8. [8 p.m.] Head down to Scum and Villainy Cantina in Hollywood for Christmas Carol-Oke from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
9. [8 p.m.] Zombie Joe’s Underground Theatre Group presents an all new holiday-horror-theatre attraction titled Dark Dark Ride Ride Holiday Nightmare. It’s a “wild ride through winter wonderHELL” that takes place Wednesdays through Saturdays from December 4-21.
10. [various] Free museum day: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $12.50 tix to Animanga 2020: Anime, Manga, & Cosplay Convention (via Goldstar affiliate)