You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Monday, December 16, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] The Scenario Studio is offering a free pop-up photo experience on Rodeo Drive daily through December 22. FREE
2. [5 p.m.] The Holiday Light Festival Train Ride at Griffith Park is a festive one mile ride on the tracks with tens of thousands of lights to get you in the Holiday spirit. Running November 29 through December 30.
3. [5:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens’ Enchanted Forest of Light returns for another installment with a host of interactive displays and nighttime activities from November 17 through January 5, 2020. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [sunset] Grand Park’s Winter Glow is a free night time art experience covering 12 acres of Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles and the newly renovated Music Center Plaza. Whimsical artistic projections and light displays will illuminate paths and play off of the park’s most iconic elements. The holiday-inspired event will run nightly from Dec. 6 to 25. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] Since 1969 Bob Baker’s Marionette Theater’s adaptation of the Nutcracker has been warming hearts and delighting kids and adults during the holidays. The show includes over 100 handmade puppets at the Pasadena Playhouse. Running now until December 29.
6. [7:30 p.m.] Astronomy on Tap hosted by Caltech Astronomy happens once a month at Der Wolf in Pasadena. Professionals will give informal talks about a variety of topics while enjoying German beers with the public.
7. [7:30 p.m.] The Contenders film series concludes this week at The Hammer Museum with screenings curated by The Museum of Modern Art. The films selected are new films believed to stand the test of time in influence. This Monday they’ll screen Judy, followed by Q&A with Renee Zellweger, moderated by Raj Roy.
8. [8 p.m.] The Improvised Shakespeare Company at Largo.
9. [8 p.m.] Two Old Queens Celebrating the Holidays at Dynasty Typewriter. Special guests include Jillian Bell, Michaela Watkins, Lucas Hazlett, James Adomian, and Jonnie Reinnhart.
10. [10 p.m.] Metal Monday featuring DJ Super Paranoid at The Mermaid.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $21 tix to Deck the Hall Holiday Concerts at Disney Concert Hall (via Goldstar)