You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, December 19, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] Corey Helford Gallery’s sixth annual Art Collector Starter Kit group show highlights affordable 12” x 12” works from 100 top New Contemporary artists, giving new art collectors and enthusiasts a chance to buy an original piece from artists. The show will be on view through January 18, 2020. Gallery hours are noon to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. FREE
2. [4 p.m.] LACMA welcomes the public for a meditation and slow-looking exercises in the exhibition “Thomas Joshua Cooper: The World’s Edge.” The meditation will be led by educator Alicia Vogl Saenz. Tickets are required for this event. FREE
3. [sunset] Grand Park’s Winter Glow is a free night time art experience covering 12 acres of Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles and the newly renovated Music Center Plaza. Whimsical artistic projections and light displays will illuminate paths and play off of the park’s most iconic elements. The holiday-inspired event will run nightly from Dec. 6 to 25. FREE
4. [5:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens’ Enchanted Forest of Light returns for another installment with a host of interactive displays and nighttime activities from November 17 through January 5, 2020. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [6 p.m.] There’s an Ugly Sweater Party at Bluebird Brasserie featuring happy hour beer prices all night for those in sweaters. A sweater contest at 9 p.m. and a new barrel aged beer from sister brewery, 6th & La Brea.
6. [7 p.m.] It’s Trivia Night at Three Weavers Brewery in Inglewood from 7 to 9 p.m.
7. [7 p.m.] CAGES is a brand new pop-rock musical from duo Woolf and the Wondershow that pushes the boundaries of what can be done on stage using elements of performance, projection, and sound. Shows run through Dec. 21.
8. [7:30 p.m.] The Eli and Edythe Broad Stage in Santa Monica welcomes National Geographic Live on December 19-20 with award-winning filmmaker and photographer Andy Mann as he looks back at his over 100 days (each year) at sea, documenting cutting-edge marine science and telling the story of rapid changing on our planet.
9. [7:30 p.m.] Crimson Cabaret Pairs Immersive Musical Theater with Cold War Spy Craft. The story has you playing the part of a spy in 1960’s Berlin, and there’s more than a few secrets in store. Produced by immersive theater company The Unmarked Door, this new production runs in Glendale on select dates through the end of December.
10. [9 p.m.] Barney’s Beanery in West Hollywood will open up all the games for free play this Thursday night with hosted drink and food specials.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $21 tix to Deck the Hall Holiday Concerts at Disney Concert Hall (via Goldstar)