You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, March 5, 2020.
*** SPECIAL NOTE: On March 4, 2020 Los Angeles County declared a local health emergency in response to new Novel Coronavirus Activity (COVID-19). Per LA County’s press release, although individual risk of county residents contracting COVID-19 remains low, now is a good time to educate yourself on how the virus spreads and go over preparations you should make should the situation escalate, and more extreme measures (such as mandated social distancing) become a requirement. The County’s website has many excellent resources, including an F.A.Q. on COVID-19, and general steps you can take to stop the spread of illness, including a guide on proper hand washing. ***
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9:30 a.m.] L.A. Arboretum hosts Yoga in the Garden the class is a gentle and soothing one in tranquil location.
2. [10 a.m.] FIDM Museum presents their annual “Art of Motion Picture Costume Design” exhibition from February 4 to March 21. Now in its 28th year the public can see costumes created by all five Academy Award nominees. Over 100 outstanding costume designs from 29 films in the past year will also be on display. FREE
3. [5 p.m.] The Wizard’s Den is an immersive pop-up where aspiring spell casters can concoct their own magical potions (aka cocktails) donning wizard’s robes and using a variety of witchy props and ingredients. The pop-up opened Feb. 26 and runs on various dates through April 5.
4. [6 p.m.] Lisa Loeb comes to Amoeba Hollywood for an in-store performance and signing in promotion of her new album A Simple Trick To Happiness (released Feb. 28). FREE
5. [6:30 p.m.] First Thursday Art-walk in San Pedro features over 40 galleries and studios hosting public receptions in the evening plus food trucks and live music at several local many venues. An official tour starts at 6:30 p.m. at the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce. FREE
6. [6:30 p.m.] The Burrito Project DTLA hosts monthly meet-ups to make and distribute homemade burritos to people experiencing hunger and homelessness on Skid Row. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] The Underground Jazz Sessions at The Continental Club. FREE
8. [7:45 p.m.] The Laugh Factory welcomes Pete Holmes and a star-studded lineup for a night of LOL’s. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
10. [various] Free Museum Day: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $18 tix to L.A. TACO’s Birriamania (via Goldstar)