You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, April 12, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [7 a.m.] From April 12-14 The Toyota Grand Prix features live street racing, live music concerts, a lifestyle expo, kids kart racing, dancing contests, food trucks and more.
2. [1 p.m.] LA Art Book Fair takes over The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA April 11-14 providing artists a platform to display their books, art catalogs, zines, and more. The event is free and open to the public from April 12-14. Opening night takes place on April 11 where tickets cost $20 and comes with a limited edition work by artist Jeffrey Cheung of Unity Press and a special musical performance.
3. [6 p.m.] MONSTERPALOOZA 2019 returns to the Pasadena Convention Center April 12 – 14 to celebrate the art of monsters and movie magic. Over this three-day affair, attendees have the opportunity to meet the award-winning creature creators from feature films, television and the haunt industry, plus loads of panels, presentations, tutorials and exhibits to browse.
4. [6 p.m.] Damn Good Shindig recently opened “Fire and Ice Tavern” at the Scum and Villainy Cantina in Hollywood. In honor of the final season of Game of Thrones they’ll be throwing an immersive experience featuring a costume contest, drink specials, comedic episode recaps, Iron Throne photo op, live music, and more.
5. [6 p.m.] Universal Studios Hollywood hosts a Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle Premiere Night April 11 – 12. Festivities begin with a walk down the red-carpet with plenty of photo-ops, followed by a catered diner. The main spectacle lies in the Hogwarts™ Castle, which will be covered with sinister curses and frightening creatures featuring the Dark Arts, a brand-new, striking presentation of light and music.
6. [7 p.m.] Alcove & Big Bar are hosting an epic Game of Thrones party transforming their multiple patio and interior spaces into Westeros and beyond. GOT fans should be prepared for a night filled with immersive experiences, entertainment, cocktail and food.
7. [8 p.m.] This Friday Caltech’s Stargazing and Lecture series returns to Pasadena for a night of outer worldly discussions and some stargazing. FREE
8. [8 p.m.] Los Angeles Dance Festival brings attention to the best contemporary dance in our city. Partnering with the Luckman Fine Arts Complex and California State University, Los Angeles this year, the month long curated programs feature a wide range of concert dance.
9. [various] I want to live in your mouth is a a new, immersive horror experience at Zombie Joe’s Underground theater in North Hollywood, specifically designed for an audience of one (if you’re daring enough!). Performances run Thursday to Sunday through May 5.
10. [various] If Halloween and horror movies are your favorite topics then I Like Scary Movies Experience will be just what you’re looking for. Guests can expect to see, hear, feel, and smell recreations of iconic moments from IT (2017), Beetlejuice, The Shining, The Lost Boys, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. There won’t be costumed actors jumping out trying to startle but there will be multi-sensory surprises along your winding path. The pop up experience runs April 4 through June 16 Thursday through
#SPONSORED DEAL: Get $23 tix to the Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar