You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, May 22, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [2 p.m.] POP SK8 brings a pop-up outdoor roller-skating rink to the Westfield Valencia now through May 27.
2. [6 p.m.] Head into Lunetta in Santa Monica for a night of social dining over large pots of seafood bouillabaisse prepared by Chef Raphael Lunetta as part of the Los Angeles Times Food Bowl.
3. [6:30 p.m.] Shopify will host an evening Merchant Mentor Session with Brain Dead on how to get the most out of your business. FREE
4. [6:30 p.m.] One City One Pride LGBTQ Arts Festival is a 40 day celebration through mostly free art events and exhibits between May 22 through June 30. This Wednesday they’ll kick things off with a free reception and a staged reading of Dear Harvey with Celebration Theatre. FREE
5. [6:30 p.m.] Autry After Hours presents We Love L.A. celebrating our city by highlighting the work of local poets, DJs, and artists. There will be food and cocktails available for purchase and select museum galleries will be open for exploration.
6. [7 p.m.] Ace Hotel is hosting a Late Night Nosh from 7 to 11 p.m. at Upstairs, their DTLA rooftop in collaboration with jewish comfort food purveyors Freedman’s. The special menu includes their infamous crunchwrap dogs alongside cocktail specials. DJ Alex Pasternak will man the turntables making this one heck of a munchies party.
7. [7 p.m.]
On Wednesday Friends of the LA River (FoLAR) will search for bats with biologist Tom Ryan. Ryan will meet with participants at Frogtown Brewery and then lead a walk to “unveil the mysteries lives of the LA River bats.” Afterwards, come back to the brewery to grab a beer and discuss the findings. This event has been cancelled due to possible rain tonight! No word on rescheduling as yet.
8. [7 p.m.] As part of the Los Angeles Times Food Bowl, The Wiltern presents Chef’s Fable: Where Food and Film Come Together an evening with Chef Gaggan Anand of Gaggan restaurant, voted Asia’s No. 1 restaurant 4 years and Chef’s Table show creator David Gelb as they screen and discuss Gaggan’s episode of Chef’s Table.
9. [various] The Spare Room welcomes back Evening of Tiki a one night collaboration with the best and brightest cocktail talent from around the world . Happening once a month from May through September, beverage director Yael Vengroff will work alongside each guest bartender to create an over-the-top tiki-inspired menu. The Spare Room will also have a food menu, DJs and special guests for each night.
10. [various] WE RISE, a free 10 day pop-up festival (May 18-27) will honor Mental Health Awareness Month through artists presentations, creative programming, workshops, activism, panels and more – all focused on supporting a call to action for mental health as a civil right. FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL: $7 tix to the Original Lobster Festival (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar