You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, June 20, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [5 p.m.] The El Segundo Art Walk features more than 35 artists in 30+ venues in downtown El Segundo. FREE
2. [6 p.m.] Double Feature of Indiana Jones – Raiders of the Lost Ark & Indiana Jones – Temple of Doom at the Queen Mary summer movie night series.
3. [6 p.m.] The Bloc presents Concerts at the Bloc every third Thursday of the month featuring talented local artists, a beer + wine bar, food options and more. Tickets are $5.
4. [6:30 p.m.] Who What Wear brings back Street Style Cinema, their series of free outdoor movie screenings, to The Grove every Thursday evening in June. This week they’ll screen Miss Congeniality.
5. [7 p.m.] Mike Watt + The Missingmen, Bastidas!, and DJ Don Bolles perform as part of the Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles concert series.
6. [7 p.m.] Join California African American Museum (CAAM) to celebrate the release of Elaine Welteroth’s memoir, More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say). Welteroth is currently one of the judges on Project Runway, she was the youngest person ever appointed editor-in-chief at Teen Vogue and in 2012 had been the first African American ever to hold the post of beauty and health director at a Condé Nast publication. During the evening at CAAM, Welteroth will discusses her personal experiences breaking barriers and advocating for next-gen trailblazers.
7. [8 p.m.] Moonlight Movies on the Beach screens Happy Gilmore at Cherry Beach
8. [8 p.m.] Shakespeare By The Sea will once again offer a ten-week program of admission-free performances with two featured productions: The Comedy of Errors and Henry V at a variety of venues across Los Angeles. Continuing the series is Henry V at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro at 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. FREE
9. [various] Black Hollywood Comedy Festival (HBCF) comes to the TCL Chinese Theater June 20-23 to celebrate African-American comedy in the worlds of improv, standup, digital, television and film. Created by veteran comedy producer, Jeru Tillman, the HBCF was founded to exhibit diverse styles and perspectives of African-American comedic talent.
10. [various] Over three dozen venues such as 2nd Stage, Hudson Theatres, The Broadwater and the Underground Annex Theater host comedy, ensemble theatre, dance and immersive performances during the annual Hollywood Fringe Festival taking place June 13-30.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $2.50 tix to the Original Lobster Festival in Long Beach (via Goldstar)