You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, June 29, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] CatCon returns to the Pasadena Convention Center June 29 – 30 for a weekend of feline appreciation and celebration. Highlights include over 200 exhibitors, cat-world celebrities, a cat adoption lounge, cat-centric seminars, Kitty cosplay, speakers, workshops, meet and greets and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. [10 a.m.] This Saturday Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams all come to life at the International Printing Museum as part of the annual Independence Day Celebration. The event promises a fun fact-filled day with patriotic keepsakes, tours of the museum, costumed period actors, musical performances and an All-American meal of “Freedom Dogs”, apple pie and “Patriotic Punch.
3. [10 a.m.] Pirate Invasion of Long Beach and Mermaid Festival returns to Shoreline Aquatic Park from June 29-30, with thousands of costumed pirates descending from three separate pirate ships. See sword fights, cannon and musket battles, treasure hunts and costume contests all weekend. There will also be a mermaid-themed village with mermaid games, mermaid royalty and more. FREE
4. [11 a.m.] A Stranger Things-themed Carnival lands at Santa Monica Pier June 29-30 where Pacific Park will be made over as the fictional town Hawkins where the show is based. Highlights at this free carnival include games, 80s cover bands, eating contests, magicians, a Scoops Ahoy ice cream truck and a green-n-gooey dunking booth. FREE
5. [11 a.m.] The Second Home Serpentine Pavilion is a colorful new art installation you can check out next to the La Brea Tar Pits from June 28 to November 24. Open daily, admission is free.
6. [5 p.m.] The Norton Simon Museum will host a summer garden party soirée during magic hour inspired by Monet’s Giverny. There will be live music, refreshments and art-making activities for all ages. The event is free with the cost of museum admission.
7. [7 p.m.] The popular annual Hello Kitty Art Show returns to the Corey Helford Gallery with over 100 artists from around the globe focused on examining Hello Kitty and her influence on popular culture. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with a free performance of Twelfth Night. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] The Game Changers Outdoor Movie Screening Series comes to The Ford Theatres in Hollywood June 27 – 30 for four-nights of groundbreaking cinema and television underneath the stars. Presented by the SAG-AFTRA Foundation, the goal of the series is to showcase media that has impacted diversity and narrative storytelling in monumental ways. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [8 p.m.] The Hollywood Bowl presents Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in Concert. Watch as Harry and his friends battle the Dark Lords forces right under the stars with a live performance of the original score by the orchestra will sitting in one of the best amphitheaters in the United States.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $15 tix to Americafest at the Rose Bowl (via Goldstar)