You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, June 30, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] CatCon returns to the Pasadena Convention Center June 29 – 30 for a weekend of feline appreciation and celebration. Highlights include over 200 exhibitors, cat-world celebrities, a cat adoption lounge, cat-centric seminars, Kitty cosplay, speakers, workshops, meet and greets and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. [10 a.m.] Pirate Invasion of Long Beach and Mermaid Festival returns to Shoreline Aquatic Park from June 29-30, with thousands of costumed pirates descending from three separate pirate ships. See sword fights, cannon and musket battles, treasure hunts and costume contests all weekend. There will also be a mermaid-themed village with mermaid games, mermaid royalty and more. FREE
3. [11 a.m.] A Stranger Things-themed Carnival lands at Santa Monica Pier June 29-30 where Pacific Park will be made over as the fictional town Hawkins where the show is based. Highlights at this free carnival include games, 80s cover bands, eating contests, magicians, a Scoops Ahoy ice cream truck and a green-n-gooey dunking booth. (Fair warning: crowds will be there in full force and we expect a significant wait time in line to get in). FREE
5. [11 a.m.] The Second Home Serpentine Pavilion is a colorful new art installation you can check out next to the La Brea Tar Pits from June 28 to November 24. Open daily, admission is free.
6. [11 a.m.] The Annual Jazz At St. Andrews Park is a free event with live musical performances, a children’s village, dancing, food trucks and a vendor village. FREE
7. [noon] SAMJAM Venice Block Party is one of the largest music events on the Westside of Los Angeles, focused on music, art, community, and charity. Food trucks, drinks, live art, and fun games round out this popular annual event.
8. [1:30 p.m.] One City One Pride LGBTQ Arts Festival is a 40-day celebration through mostly free art events and exhibits between May 22 through June 30. This Sunday will be centered around a day of art with poetry pop-ups, readings, performances, panels FREE
9. [3:45 p.m.] Manhattan Beach Concerts in the Park presents Salute to the Troops – The Satin Dollz at Polliwog Park. FREE
10. [7 p.m.] Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with a free performance of Twelfth Night. FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $15 tix to Americafest at the Rose Bowl (via Goldstar)