You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, July 27, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] The 2019 Long Beach Dragon Boat Festival comes to Marine Stadium in Long Beach July 27 – 28 for two days of excitement by the water featuring one of the largest dragon boat competitions in California plus Chinese traditional art demonstrations, Chinese Acrobats, martial arts performances and more. FREE
2. [11 a.m.] Grab a free sandwich at The Boys’ Butcher Shop, open this weekend only on Fairfax. This temporary an immersive collaboration via Amazon Prime Video and Chef Ludovic Lefebvre in celebration of Amazon’s new gritty superhero series, The Boys. FREE
3. [11 a.m.] 24th Annual Central Avenue Jazz Festival July 27-28 celebrates the legacy of the Historic Central Avenue through a two-day festival featuring three musical stages, food offerings, and art. The event takes place along Central Avenue between MLK Blvd. and Vernon. FREE
4. [noon] Long Beach Crawfish Festival comes to the Rainbow Lagoon in Long Beach July 26 – 28 for a crustacean-centric, weekend-long celebration where chefs will prepare true, Louisiana-style crawfish along with other cajun delicacies. Festival highlights include the Second Line Dancing Parade, live entertainment, a Karaoke Lounge with a live band, and of course, crawfish prepared Louisiana style in the world’s largest crawfish pots. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [6 p.m.] Summer Film Series at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes screens Stand and Deliver (1988). FREE
6. [6 p.m.] Lala Lala performs at the Getty Center Courtyard as part of the museum’s Off the 405 summer concert series. FREE
7. [6:30 p.m.] Old Pasadena Summer Cinema concludes their series tonight with Zootopia at Central Park and Nacho Libre at One Colorado. FREE
8. [6:30 p.m.] Camp Fangoria is a ten-hour-long event screening 80s horror classics at the Montalbán Theatre in Hollywood. The all most all nighter will include Q&As from special guests, a live podcast, DJ sets, horror trivia, Nintendo gaming tournaments, horror-camp photo-booth plus access to rooftop where there’s more surprises. The Alone Experience will also be there offering a “site-specific, fully immersive and existential experience” inside the historic theater.
9. [7 p.m.] The Chocolate and Art Show happening July 26-27 brings together some of Los Angeles’ most talented up-and-coming artists, photographers and creators. Highlights include art, live music, live body painting, face-painting, and of course large amounts of free chocolate.
10. [7 p.m.] POW! WOW! Long Beach – one of the largest mural events in the nation returns to Long Beach for a week-long festival highlighting murals by local and international artists, hosting special events and more. The public art experience is free and open to the public. The series concludes this Saturday with a KCRW Summer Nights pool party.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $45 tix to see Blink 182 and Lil Wayne at The Forum (via Goldstar)