You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, August 10, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] 2019 Natsumatsuri Family Festival at Japanese American National Museum is a free annual summer celebration featuring Japanese and Japanese American performances, crafts, and activities. Highlights include taiko drumming and bon odori dance lessons, several readings and samples of saataa andaagii an Okinawan deep-fried pastry. FREE
2. [11 a.m.] The first-ever Museum of Weed debuted over the weekend. This 30,000 square foot space of ‘higher learning’ presented by WeedMaps aims to provide insight and history into marijuana through interactive exhibits, Instagram-friendly art installations and a bevy of historical artifacts. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday. Admission starts at $35.
3. [11 a.m.] The Los Angeles Tea Festival brings together 45+ exhibitors, 20+ classes, and over 4,000 attendees to sip on quality tea and engage in discussions and presentations on teas from every region. Attendees will be able to try unique tea pairings and craft tea-infused cocktails and even boba. Check for discounted tickets on select classes and events on Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [11:30 a.m.] BeautyCon is a two-day beauty convention featuring makeup tutorials,, fireside chats, tips on self-care, more than 150 top brands, 500 influencers and creators, plus plenty of cool photo opportunities. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [2 p.m.] August 10 is DOGust, the universal birthday of shelter dogs and Wallis Annenberg PetSpace is throwing a celebration. Bring your family and pups to the birthday bash co-hosted by Healthy Spot. The afternoon will feature complimentary treats for canines and people alongside fun activities. FREE
6. [2 p.m.] The National Park Service will host a free, bilingual event called Nuestras Montañas: Feria de Comunidad y Recreación/Our Mountains at the Visitor Center at King Gillette Ranch from 2 to 7:30 p.m. The community event will include bilingual hikes, live music, arts and crafts, activity stations, a rock climbing wall, food trucks and more. FREE
7. [6:30 p.m.] Enjoy a vintage-style summer evening at the drive-in during San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights at the Lake Balboa Complex. Each evening will offer food trucks, an arcade, live music and more. The series concludes with Grease on Saturday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. [7 p.m.] KCRW Summer Nights will take place at two locations this Saturday! One at KCRW HQ with a performance by Y La Bamba with KCRW DJs Anthony Valadez and Valida. The other event will take place in Chinatown with KCRW DJs Raul Campos and Mathieu Schreyer. Events are free and open to all-ages. FREE
9. [7 p.m.] Gabba Gallery hosts Remix: The Art of Music an exhibition for both art and music lovers alike. Over 60 local and international artists and musicians have created visual works using music as inspiration. Their creations are in the forms of imagined album covers, portraits of rock idols, paintings inspired by songs, and much more. Opening night is this Saturday from 7-11 p.m. FREE
10. [various] The 15th Annual HollyShorts Film Festival will screen over 400 films from 30 different countries during the festival’s 10-day run from August 8-17 at TCL Chinese Theatres in Hollywood.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $21 tix to the Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor (via Goldstar)