You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, August 14, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] A colorful, winding installation called The Second Home Serpentine Pavilion is now open at the La Brea Tar Pits for the summer and its 100% free for the public to roam and explore. The pavilion is open daily and will run through November 24. FREE
2. [2 p.m.] The first-ever Museum of Weed is now open in Los Angeles. This 30,000 square foot space of ‘higher learning’ presented by WeedMaps aims to provide insight and history into marijuana through interactive exhibits, Instagram-friendly art installations and a bevy of historical artifacts. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday. Admission starts at $35.
3. [4 p.m.] During the month of August Skyspace’s The Garden Bar will host TAP TAKEOVERS where your admission between the times of 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. will include a free craft brew. This week guests can sip on a beer from Angel City Brewery on August 12-14.
4. [7 p.m.] Shakespeare By The Sea presents The Comedy of Errors at La Mirada Community Regional Park. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] Art Battle Los Angeles returns to Exchange LA for a wild night of art-making right before your eyes. Expect to marvel at artists in a competitive painting tournament transforming blank canvases into beautiful, original paintings in 20 minutes.
6. [8 p.m.] The Spare Room welcomes back Evening of Tiki, a one-night collaboration with the best and brightest cocktail talent from around the world. Happening once a month from May through September, beverage director Yael Vengroff will work alongside each guest bartender to create an over-the-top tiki-inspired menu. The Spare Room will also have a food menu, DJs and special guests for each night.
7. [8 p.m.] The Standard in Downtown Los Angeles will host Not Your Standard Bingo this Wednesday at 8 p.m. with Maebe A. Girl and Indica Sativa.
8. [8:30 p.m.] Plan C a free comedy show happening on the second Wednesday of every month at The York in Highland Park returns for a round of progressive laughs starting at 9 p.m. FREE
9. [various] The Burbank Comedy Festival taking place across five different venues will host 200 performers from around the globe for seven days (August 11-17) of nonstop funny business.
10. [various] The 15th Annual HollyShorts Film Festival will screen over 400 films from 30 different countries during the festival’s 10-day run from August 8-17 at TCL Chinese Theatres in Hollywood.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $21 tix to the Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor (via Goldstar)