You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, August 17, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Columbia Memorial Space Center in Downey hosts Rocket Fever, the only annual urban rocket event in Los Angeles where kids of all ages can build and launch their own solid fuel model rockets all day long. Water rockets, stomp rockets, and straw rockets are free to build. A specialized rocket building class cost $7. All other activities will be free of charge.
2. [noon] The LA Taco Festival aims to bring the city together to eat tacos and support a good cause – helping homeless youth succeed. Jovenes, a nonprofit working to help homeless youth ages 18 to 25, created the festival in 2009 as a way to bring people together, support youth, and enjoy tacos. Admission is free for all ages, with tacos available for purchase.
3. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6. There will be 10 different interactive spaces over the course of a whole 40 minutes for each guests to enjoy. FREE
4. [7 p.m.] KCRW Summer Nights will take place at KCRW HQ this Saturday with a performance by Andrew Bird with KCRW DJs Chris Douridas and Novena Carmel. Events are free and open to all-ages. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] The Hammer museums series Catch a Thrill! Celebrating 10 Years of the American Genre Film Archive will screen punk rock film Rock’N’Roll High School.
6. [7:30 p.m.] L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with a show on Saturday at The Virgil with over a dozen well known comedians and animators.
7. [8 p.m.] The Hollywood Bowl will host Jurassic Park in Concert live to picture this Friday and Saturday.
8. [8 p.m.] Pod Save America, a podcast hosted by former Obama staffers Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, Tommy Vietor, and Dan Pfeiffer, is going on tour for a live conversation about politics, the press, and the challenges posed by the Trump presidency. The tour will feature guest co-host Jemele Hill and performances by Maggie Rogers, Amanda Seale, Best Coast and My Morning Jacket’s Jim James. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [various] The world’s largest Korean culture convention KCON stops in Los Angeles from August 15-18 for a celebration of music, workshops, meet-and-greets, and more, plus two nights of concerts at Staples Center.
10. [various] Echo Park Rising returns for its ninth year to celebrate music, creativity, diversity, and small businesses of Echo Park. The music festival will feature multiple live music stages and activities such as free tours of the historic Jensens Rec Center, a Echo Park Lake history & nature walk, special happy hour menus at surrounding restaurants, discounts at local storefronts and much more. FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $21 tix to the Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!