You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Tuesday, August 20, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] A colorful, winding installation called The Second Home Serpentine Pavilion is now open at the La Brea Tar Pits for the summer and its 100% free for the public to roam and explore. The pavilion is open daily and will run through November 24. FREE
2. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6. There will be 10 different interactive spaces over the course of a whole 40 minutes for each guests to enjoy. FREE
3. [4 p.m.] During the month of August Skyspace’s The Garden Bar will host TAP TAKEOVERS where your admission between the times of 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. will include a free craft brew. This week guests can sip on a beer from Lagunitas from August 19-20.
4. [6 p.m.] The Santa Monica Conservancy will host an open house at the Preservation Resource Center during Food Truck Tuesday happening at the California Heritage Museum lot. During the event conservancy docents will offer free tours of the 1897 Shotgun House, the last intact one in Santa Monica.
5. [7 p.m.] Drag Queen Bingo at The Pub at Golden Road.
7. [7:30 p.m.] Screamfest Horror Film Festival presents A Nightmare on Elm Street 35th Anniversary screening with a Q&A with actress Heather Langenkamp, Amanda Wyss and additional cast. Your tickets includes a complimentary beer for guests 21+.
8. [7:45 p.m.] Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema is back for the sixth year in a row. From June 11 through August 27 Angelenos can indulge in a luxury outdoor movie experience by the pool with a Cipriani menu, classic movie snacks and Peroni Nastro Azzurro. Avengers: Infinity War will be screened this week.
9. [8 p.m.] Moonlight Movies on the Beach brings a summer-long series of free outdoor movie screenings on the shores of the LBC to three different locations near Downtown Long Beach and Belmont Shore. The series concludes with Ferris Bueller’s Day Off at Granada Beach on Tuesday. FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $17 tix to Mozart Under the Stars at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)