You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, August 24, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Festival Chapin Celebrating Guatemalan Culture highlights the diversity and beauty of Guatemalan culture August 24 and 25 with culinary demonstrations, an artisan market, live traditional marimba music, folklore and more at the La Fayette Recreation Center. FREE
2. [10 a.m.] The Leimert Park Village Book Fair comes to Baldwin Hills Crenshaw on August 24 for an all-day literary extravaganza.
3. [noon] DTLA PROUD Festival 2019 returns August 23 to 25 to celebrate the culture, history, and diversity of the LGBTQ+ community in Downtown Los Angeles and beyond. There will be a lineup of local stage talent, community booths, art installations, retail vendors, interactive exhibits, food trucks, a pop up water park, and more.
4. [noon] Union Station is transforming the historic ticket course into a Retro Roller Rink from August 24-25. The 3200 square foot pop-up rink will be soundtracked by a DJ spinning classics from the 70s, 80s and right now. As an added bonus, the renowned LA Roller Girls will be on hand giving hot tips to skaters of all levels and showing off their moves, presumably.
5. [5 p.m.] Hermosa Beach Summer Series, presented by KROQ is a two-weekend long free community event August 17-18 and 24-25 each offering a lineup of music, comedy, movies on the beach, wellness activities and family-friendly experiences. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] Beverly Hills third annual BOLD Summer closes out their annual series on South Beverly Drive with “Next Night – The BOLD Finale.” Enjoy live entertainment, dancing, food, and more. FREE
7. [6 p.m.] Chinatown Cinema will be debuting their first movie screening on August 24 featuring Kung Fu Hustle. The series aims to highlight diversity and inclusivity in movies. There will be a food truck, bubble tea, free photo booths, giant games and a short film before the main feature begins.
8. [6 p.m.] San Cha performs at the Getty Center Courtyard as part of the museum’s Off the 405 summer concert series. FREE
9. [various] L.A. Food & Wine 2019 kicks off on Thursday with a selection of special dinners at restaurants across the city. August 23-25 the focus shifts to the Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Airport for three days of themed-out events and tastings hosted by top chefs.
10. [various] In the mood for a little pastrami this weekend? Uber Eats has teamed up Katz Deli to offer special delivery of make-it-at-home pastrami sandwich kits which will be deployed from Belcampo restaurant locations around the Los Angeles from August 22-25. The delivery includes one sandwich kit plus a Belcampo burger for a total costs of $27. You’ll have to log on to the Uber Eats app to see delivery options in your area place your order.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: Be the first to try Skyspace Red, White and Rosé wines presented by Farmstrong Winery at a special release party event on Saturday, September 14. This event package includes a Skyslide Ride, Tastings of all 3 wines, 1 Glass of Skyspace Wine, and Unlimited Tray Passed Apps.