You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, August 25, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Festival Chapin Celebrating Guatemalan Culture highlights the diversity and beauty of Guatemalan culture August 24 and 25 with culinary demonstrations, an artisan market, live traditional marimba music, folklore and more at the La Fayette Recreation Center. FREE
2. [10 a.m.] The 17th annual Garden Jazz Festival comes to Rowley Memorial Park, featuring two stages of music and headlined by the Stanley Clarke Band.
3. [noon] LATINAFest returns to La Plaza de Cultura y Artes to bring thousands of women together for a one-day event featuring 100 Latina entrepreneurial vendors, discussion and panels with thought leaders, a cocktail garden, workshops, and more.
4. [noon] DTLA PROUD Festival 2019 returns August 23 to 25 to celebrate the culture, history, and diversity of the LGBTQ+ community in Downtown Los Angeles and beyond. There will be a lineup of local stage talent, community booths, art installations, retail vendors, interactive exhibits, food trucks, a pop up water park, and more.
5. [noon] Union Station is transforming the historic ticket course into a Retro Roller Rink from August 24-25. The 3200 square foot pop-up rink will be soundtracked by a DJ spinning classics from the 70s, 80s and right now. As an added bonus, the renowned LA Roller Girls will be on hand giving hot tips to skaters of all levels and showing off their moves, presumably.
6. [noon] Poolside is a new immersive abstract painting show at Rhythm Visuals gallery in Downtown L.A. The exhibition features multiple rooms and visual experiences, including one where guests throw water balloons at a white wall to reveal a hidden painting. The exhibit is open Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays from noon to 4 p.m. through September 5. FREE
7. [3:45 p.m.] Manhattan Beach Concerts in the Park presents Hot August Night at Polliwog Park. FREE
8. [4 p.m.] LA’s Got Talent (a youth-focused showcase) comes to the Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles concert series. FREE
9. [5 p.m.] Hermosa Beach Summer Series, presented by KROQ is a two-weekend long free community event August 17-18 and 24-25 each offering a lineup of music, comedy, movies on the beach, wellness activities and family-friendly experiences. FREE
10. [various] L.A. Food & Wine 2019 kicks off on Thursday with a selection of special dinners at restaurants across the city. August 23-25 the focus shifts to the Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Airport for three days of themed-out events and tastings hosted by top chefs.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $16.50 tix to Doggie Paradise at the Queen Mary (via Goldstar)