You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, August 23, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6. There will be 10 different interactive spaces over the course of a whole 40 minutes for each guests to enjoy. FREE
2. [4 p.m.] DTLA PROUD Festival 2019 returns August 23 to 25 to celebrate the culture, history, and diversity of the LGBTQ+ community in Downtown Los Angeles and beyond. There will be a lineup of local stage talent, community booths, art installations, retail vendors, interactive exhibits, food trucks, a pop up water park, and more.
3. [5 p.m.] Summer Nights at the Tar Pits returns for an evening party featuring DJs, cocktails, museum exploration, discussions and more. FREE
4. [6 p.m.] 4th Fridays on 4th Street activates the “Retro Road” business district in Long Beach on the fourth Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m. through extended hours, dining specials, discounted merchandise, pop up shops, art shows, live music, double decker bus rides and more.
5. [6 p.m.] The Department of Beaches and Harbors presents Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center every Friday this summer. This week they will screen Ralph Breaks the Internet. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] Friday Night Block Party at L.A. LIVE presented by Absolut features 20+ pop-up shops, live art and street performers and select $5 food and drink menus at participating L.A. LIVE restaurants. FREE
7. [9 p.m.] Asian AF Los Angeles comedy show at the Upright Citizens Brigade Sunset is a night of stand-up, sketch, improv, storytelling, and more by the best comedic Asian American talent in our city.
8. [9 p.m.] OUE SkySpace LA hosts a summer night party two nights in a row this weekend with guest DJs starting at 9 p.m. with the city lights sparkling nearly 1000 feet above DTLA. The first drink is on the house too.
9. [various] L.A. Food & Wine 2019 kicks off on Thursday with a selection of special dinners at restaurants across the city. August 23-25 the focus shifts to the Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Airport for three days of themed-out events and tastings hosted by top chefs.
10. [various] In the mood for a little pastrami this weekend? Uber Eats has teamed up Katz Deli to offer special delivery of make-it-at-home pastrami sandwich kits which will be deployed from Belcampo restaurant locations around the Los Angeles from August 22-25. The delivery includes one sandwich kit plus a Belcampo burger for a total costs of $27. You’ll have to log on to the Uber Eats app to see delivery options in your area place your order.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY $16.50 tix to Doggie Paradise at the Queen Mary (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!