You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, August 30, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6.
2. [6 p.m.] West Adams Avenues Jazz and Music Festival (August 30-September 1) offers three nights of music including jazz, blues, funk and more, as well as activities, arts and crafts, and food trucks. FREE
3. [6:30 p.m.] Westwood Village Cinema Under the Stars returns for the season with Spider-man Homecoming. Moviegoers are encouraged to bring their own chairs and blankets. FREE
4. [7 p.m.] Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of either Pericles or Twelfth Night Wednesday through Sunday. FREE
5. [7 p.m.] The L.A. Times hosts its 10th Annual The Taste celebrating Southern California’s culinary scene August 30 through September 1. Curated by the Times’ Food Staff, there will be unlimited tastings from regional restaurants, wine, beer, and cocktails, plus access to cooking demonstrations.
6. [7 p.m.] The Music Center’s Dance DTLA features live music and/or DJs paired with expert dance instructors providing beginner group dance lessons for attendees. Each night has a different dance theme. The series concludes with Cumbia at The Music Center Plaza, as part of the Plaza Grand Opening Weekend Celebration. FREE
7. [8 p.m.] John Williams hosts and David Newman conducts the LA Philharmonic at The Hollywood Bowl in their annual celebration of the music of John Williams. Film clips from Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, E.T. and more will accompany the music. Happening Friday through Sunday. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. [8 p.m.] Ford Theatres presents Urban Bush Women: Hair & Other Stories an experience that blends dance-theatre with conversations that explores disquieting perceptions of beauty, identity and race, and what constitutes the freedom to rise to our Extra-ordinary Selves.
9. [8 p.m.] The Department of Beaches and Harbors presents Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center every Friday. This week they will screen Spider-man into the Spider-verse. FREE
10. [various] Cinecon Classic Film Festival at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theatre (August 29 to September 2) is five days of classic film screenings, celebrity appearances, panels, a memorabilia show, and more.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $7 tix to Long Beach Comic Con (via Goldstar)