You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, September 6, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] Never been to LACMA? First-time Fridays is a new monthly event for new visitors to the museum. Simply let the ticket office know you’re a newbie and you’ll receive a free poster, discounts and a welcome gift. Stop by after 3 pm with a L.A. County residents ID and get free admission.
2. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival is now open at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6. Online reservations are fully booked but a standby line is available.
3. [3 p.m.] The Other Art Fair Los Angeles happening September 5-8 at The Barker Hanger in Santa Monica will showcase a curated selection of over 140 independent artists with art for sale plus live DJ sets, event tours, conversations with art scene leaders, live activations and a bar.
4. [5 p.m.] The Original Long Beach Lobster Festival returns for the 23rd year September 6-8 at Rainbow Lagoon Park in Long Beach with copious amounts of delicious lobster prepared in a variety of ways. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [6 p.m.] Three-day photography fair Classic Photographs Los Angeles returns to Bergamot Station in Santa Monica from September 6 to 8 for a free exhibit of vintage, modern, and contemporary photography available for purchase. FREE
6. [7:30 p.m.] The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
7. [8 p.m.] Head to the Getty Villa for an outdoor performance of The Heal in the Barbara and Lawrence Fleischman Theater. Sit in the stunning venue modeled after ancient Greek and Roman theaters and enjoy a new version of Sophocles’ timeless tale. The show runs every Thursday through Saturday from September 6-28. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. [8 p.m.] Caltech Astronomy invites the public to sit in on a stargazing and lecture event this Friday at 8 p.m. FREE
9. [11 p.m.] There’s a late night dance party at Zebulon this Friday with Mogwai DJ’s. FREE
10. [various.] The 11th Annual Burbank International Film Festival happening September 4-8 will feature 180 films, a Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure 30th anniversary screening and a science fiction themed party.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $12.50 tix to the L.A. County Fair (via Goldstar)