You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, September 7, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] The Hammer Museum Family Day: Art Beyond Borders is a free annual festival featuring storytelling, art making, music making, dancing, puppetry performance with Bob Baker Marionette Theater, kindness activities and much more. FREE
2. [11 a.m.] The Other Art Fair Los Angeles happening September 5-8 at The Barker Hanger in Santa Monica will showcase a curated selection of over 140 independent artists with art for sale plus live DJ sets, event tours, conversations with art scene leaders, live activations and a bar.
3. [11 a.m.] The fifteenth day of the eighth lunar month is time to celebrate the Moon Festival. Head to Santa Anita Park for The Moon Festival Spectacular, a two-daylong celebration featuring Chinese and Asian arts, a lantern festival, traditional food and live entertainment. FREE
4. [11 a.m.] Three-day photography fair Classic Photographs Los Angeles returns to Bergamot Station in Santa Monica from September 6 to 8 for a free exhibit of vintage, modern, and contemporary photography available for purchase. FREE
5. [noon] The Original Long Beach Lobster Festival returns for the 23rd year September 6-8 at Rainbow Lagoon Park in Long Beach with copious amounts of delicious lobster prepared in a variety of ways. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. [1 p.m.] The City of West Hollywood presents an opening reception for Visual Artists Guild’s Art & Democracy VI. Artists from all over the world will address issues of human rights, immigrants rights, democratic aspirations, social justice and freedom of speech and expression through their artwork. The event taking place from 1 to 4 p.m. features live entertainment, light refreshments, interactive art installations, artist meet-and-greets and more. FREE
8. [7:30 p.m.] Muse ’til Midnight: The Allure of Music is LACMA’s annual after-hours party inspired by current exhibitions at the museum. This years focus if the exhibit The Allure of Matter: Material Art from China. Multiple performance stages, music curated by DUBLAB and Ninja Tune, sound and visual installations will be sprinkled across various locations of the museum.
9. [7:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens new concert series SILENCE presents experimental popular and classical new musical performances at specific sites within Descanso’s collection of horticulture. Kicking off the series are performances by Zola Jesus, Jonas Baes, Low Leaf, Miya Folick and Saul Williams.
10. [8 p.m.] Freewaves will present LOVE &/OR FEAR: A Celebration of Genders, a large-scale public performance event over two blocks of Hollywood Blvd and centered at exhibition space Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions (LACE). FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $12.50 tix to the L.A. County Fair (via Goldstar)