Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (April 28-30) includes Redondo Beach Springfest, The Brewery ArtWalk, Fiesta Broadway, the Downtown Burbank Arts Festival, a Taste of the Eastside, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday April 28th, 2017
1. WERD: A Live Magazine Show at the Ace Hotel Theatre is bringing a night of discussions, jam sessions, and activism featuring Jane’s Addiction front man Perry Farrell and artist Shepard Fairey in conversation together, an exclusive interview with Garbage frontwoman Shirley Manson and a rare appearance by Doors drummer John Densmore. Some discount tickets available while supplies last! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. Redondo Beach’s Springfest continues all weekend long! This annual carnival and community event at Aviation Park in Redondo Beach features pony rides, as petting zoo, carnival rides for all ages, food trucks, a food court, live entertainment and DJs.
3. The Last Book Review returns to The Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles. Join host Ever Mainard and five comedians as they tell their own personal, funny and often awkward story on stage. The last comedian will then take the audience through a book review. FREE
4 Every Friday in April Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This week’s theme is a City Series: PISCO.
5. Tease, If You Please Burlesque Show staged at Globe Theatre spotlights acts from some of the most creative dancers in the business. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. April is National Poetry Month and Metro Art Presents legendary L.A. poet and word musician Kamau Daáood and a program of performances by special guest poets, accompanied by musicians at Union Station. FREE
7. This Friday evening American Cinematheque offers a tribute to actor Bill Paxton with a double-feature of A Simple Plan and One False Move playing t the Aero Theater in Santa Monica. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
9. Free admission day this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art
Saturday April 29th, 2017
10. The Brewery ArtWalk returns for its spring edition with works from more than 100 participating resident artists in mediums including video, painting, performance, ceramics, interior, fashion, multi-media and more. Runs both Saturday and Sunday starting at 11 a.m. Free entry and free parking! FREE
11. LA Weekly’s Burgers & Beer returns to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for an afternoon of unlimited slider samples and beer pours from some of L.A.’s best restaurants and breweries.
12. Any weirdly obsessed Tom Cruise fans out there? Tom Gun LIVE: A Maverick’s Homage brings a raucous interactive parody show to the Regent chalked full of karaoke sing-a-longs, dance offs, audience fueled paper airplane battles, missiles ziplining through the crowd, and much more.
13. This Saturday starting at 8 p.m. you can catch an evening of Mozart at performed by the Long Beach Symphony at the Long Beach Performing Arts Center. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. The Great L.A. River CleanUp concludes its month-long volunteer effort this Saturday with a focus on portions of the lower LA River. Head out and do your part! FREE
15. Grab discount tickets to Esotouric’s Raymond Chandler’s Los Angeles Bus Tour, which departs from the Daily Dose Cafe this Saturday at noon. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. The Original Renaissance Pleasure Faire is back at the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale April 8 through May 21. Come to the fair for an afternoon of games, rides, mouthwatering food and artisan crafts.
17. This Saturday the Q Pop Shop in Little Tokyo is hosting an opening reception of their Minitature Art Show, which showcases beautifully detailed tiny art created by over 60 artists, with each piece seen through a small magnifying glass. Starts at 7 p.m. FREE
18. The Drag Queens of Comedy comes to The Orpheum Theatre featuring an extravaganza of live drag performers including Jackie Beat, Lady Bunny, Coco Peru, Sasha Soprano, Willam, Alaska, Bob the Drag Queen, Bianca Del Rio, Peaches and Heklina, and Lady Red Couture.
19. The last Saturday in April is Independent Bookstore Day, a one-day national party that takes place at indie bookstores across the country. Check out this handy locator to find out which stores in the L.A. area are participating and what events they are having.
20. The Downtown Burbank Arts Festival will be take over San Fernando Boulevard between Angeleno Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard with a collection of special effects artists, street painters, and more than 100 painters, photographers, and sculptors on display. Takes place both Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free and open to the public. FREE
21. The City of San Gabriel is hosting a Cinco de Mayo Mercado this Saturday starting at 5:30 p.m. at the Playhouse Plaza off Mission Dr. The free event will include artists, crafters, food trucks, and plenty of live music. FREE
22. Beach Streets University in Long Beach is an open streets festival chalked full of kids activities, DJs, skate boarding exhibitions, and lots of guests riding on two wheels. FREE
23. The Jackalope Art Fair, a two-day indie craft fair, is back at Central Park in Pasadena from April 29-30. FREE
24. The spring 2017 edition of the Pico Block Party is taking over the 18th Street Arts Center in Santa Monica for a day of salsa music, cultural performances, workshops, food trucks, and even a dance class. Free admission with RSVP. FREE
Sunday April 30th, 2017
25. The Brentwood Art Festival returns this Sunday offerings guests the opportunity to browse one-of-a-kind art pieces for purchase while enjoying arts and crafts, local food trucks, kids activities, a beer and wine garden, and live entertainment. Entry is free. FREE
26. The Annual All-Vegan VegFest at Woodley Park is an all-day, all-vegan, food festival featuring live entertainment, vegan food education and foodie inspiration. Highlights include a learning kitchen with cooking demonstrations on healthy, tasty and fun recipes; A kids’ kingdom with storytelling, face painting and other activities; and an oasis beer and wine garden. Free admission. FREE
27. The Skirball Cultural Center’s Puppet Festival offers guests an afternoon of puppetry with the whole family. Puppet shows will feature new & classic stories alongside puppeteers, live music & art making.
28. Pasadena Restaurant Week 2017 begins on April 30 featuring prix-fixe lunch and dinner menus for an assortment of eateries that showcase the the city’s vibrant food scene. Runs through Friday, May 5.
29. Fiesta Broadway in returns to Downtown L.A. on April 30. The country’s largest Hispanic event, now in its 28th year, isn’t just Los Angeles’ biggest Cinco de Mayo event — it’s also a celebration of Mexican and Latin American culture. FREE
30. Have a Taste of Holland at Dutch King’s Day in Long Beach! This celebration of the birthday of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands features tons of Dutch food options will be available, including Dutch fries with assorted toppings, the mini pancakes known as puffertjes, Indonesian street food (part of the culinary heritage of Holland), herring and more. Guests should definitely wear orange!
31. Taste of the Eastside returns to Los Angeles River Center and Gardens on April 30 for a food and drink festival that boasts some of the best and most diverse tastes from the food scene of the eastside neighborhoods of Silver Lake, Echo Park, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Los Feliz, Atwater and beyond.
32. The LAVA Sunday Salon is offering their monthly free walking tour this Sunday with a dual focus on the architecture of Fort Hill and the restoration of the Fort Moore Pioneer Memorial. The group will be meeting up at Grand Central Market around 2 p.m. Reservations are required! FREE
33. Learn about the use and pleasures of cannabis during mind + body + plant, an afternoon also centered on guided meditation, yoga, and massage therapy, on Sunday, April 30.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]