Wouldn’t it be great if someone put together a rundown of all the best free and cheap things to do this weekend in Los Angeles? Well here it is.
This weekend’s budget to-do list includes a Winter Star Party at Paramount Ranch, the last day of a Mike Kelley exhibition at Hauser & Wirth, an immersive installation in East Hollywood, and much more!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
10 for $10 or Less
1. [FREE] Forest Lawn Museum’s latest exhibition Pigskin Peanuts is an homage to the late great Charles M. Schulz. Featuring 50 Sunday and daily football-themed comic strips and other Peanuts related objects, the family friendly exhibit will be on display from January 18 through March 15, 2018. Admission to the museum and parking is always free. FRIDAY-SUNDAY
2. [FREE] Get an inside look at the world of professional street skateboarding as Sociologist Gregory Snyder presents his new book Skateboarding LA at The Last Bookstore. FRIDAY
3. [FREE] Gateway to the Moon 3.0 is a new immersive installation from artist Gazoo opening at de Plume gallery in East Hollywood this Saturday. The large-scale installation, is designed to transport visitors into a 360° retro-future dimension created from tape, lighting, and sound. SATURDAY
4. [FREE] In this political climate, speaking up and avoiding complacency is more important than ever. Stand up and let your voice be heard during the Women’s March Los Angeles 2018 taking place in Pershing Square. The 2017 march attracted a phenomenal crowd, estimated at 750,000, uniting women, men, and people of all races and backgrounds. SATURDAY
5. [FREE] The National Park Service will host Mysteries of the Night Sky a Winter Star Party at Paramount Ranch. Guests will have a chance to see star clusters, nebulae and more through high-powered telescopes with astronomers and childern can become an official Night Sky Junior Ranger. SATURDAY
6. [FREE] There’s an extra cute and powerful art show titled I Am Extraordinary curated by Bored Inc.happening at Leanna Lin’s Wonderland in Eagle Rock. The group show will feature 28 female artists and a portion of the sales will be donated to Planned Parenthood Los Angeles and She Should Run. SATURDAY
7. [FREE] ‘Mike Kelley: Kandors 1999 – 2011,’ will close this weekend at Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles. To celebrate, the gallery will host free musical performances inspired by Kelley from anti-rock noise bands Extended Organ, Lonely Street, and telecaves. SATURDAY
8. [FREE] Head to Angel City Brewery for Go Fact Yourself a live podcast taping featuring comedians, actors and musicians answering questions on topics they claim to be experts in while the real experts on hand weight in and give us all the real facts. SUNDAY
9. [FREE] 826LA will present Pigs Will Fly!, a kids art project workshop, at The Hammer Museum. Kiddos will have a chance to illustrate and journal the adventures of pigs and piglets and their attempts to fly. Recommended for children ages 8 through 14 but all kids are welcomed if accompanied by an adult. SUNDAY
10. [FREE] Take in a few laughs at the end of the weekend at Cool Beans Comedy at the Ice House in Pasadena. SUNDAY
5 MORE Options…
Here are 5 other things to do this weekend that may not be under $10 but still are worth knowing about:
- Bootie LA returns to the Echoplex this Friday evening for a special Bowie vs. Prince Mashup Night. FRIDAY
- The 4th Annual SoCal Retro Gaming Expo happening January 20-21 in City of Industry is an all-ages event featuring retro games, toys, merchandise, and much more. SATURDAY-SUNDAY
- Iron Triangle turns two this Saturday with an epic BBQ Showdown where you decide the winner. $20 gets you a three item plate from competitors Moo’s Craft Barbecue and Peaches’ Smokehouse & Southern Kitchen, feast and then vote for your favorite. SATURDAY
- Enjoy a snow day in Diamond Bar at the annual Winter Snow Fest. Over 100 tons of snow will provide hours of sledding on four hills and other wintery fun. SATURDAY
- The 3rd Annual Playa Provisions Snow Day is family friendly fun for kids and adults. There will be sledding and other wintery activities going on while the Playa Provisions team grill up hamburgers and hot dogs all afternoon. As for dessert folks can gather around the fire pits to create their very own s’mores. SUNDAY
Make sure to sign-up for our email list so you’re always in the loop regarding happenings around the city.