Like the rich, flavorful beers for which it is known, the craft beer movement has been brewing for quite some time now, and Californians – and especially us Angelenos – are finally starting to reap the hoppy, amber-colored rewards.
The California Craft Brewers Association (CCBA) recently announced that more than 700 craft breweries are now in operation throughout California, more than doubling in size since 2012.
For anyone who follows the local craft brew scene in Los Angeles this number may not be much of a surprise, as there has been a major influx of breweries in SoCal over the past several years.
Torrance, the Arts District, and the SGV are just some of the recent locales to welcome fresh brew spots to their neighborhoods, including the huge new Lagunitas taproom and brewery set to open this fall in Azusa.
All told, there are now approximately 50 craft breweries making beer in L.A. County, and the boom doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
As you may recall, four Los Angeles area breweries took home six medals and one took home the title of Best Large Brewpub in the World at the 2016 World Beer Cup on Friday, May 6, with Beachwood BBQ and Brewing getting top honors.
Oh yeah, and let’s not forget that it’s also currently LA Beer Week, which includes an upcoming beer camp at the Queen Mary this weekend.
Long story short: While California may be known for a lot of things: surf, sun, In-N-Out, Hollywood, and The Kardashians, it is quickly also becoming known, and respected, for its craft beers.
And that my friends, is something we can all raise a glass to.
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!