Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Jan. 23 to Friday, Jan. 27, features the stARTup Art Fair, TechFair LA, The Night of Ideas, a David Bowie exhibit at Forest Lawn, a Classic Auto Show, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday January 23rd, 2017
1. L&E Oyster Bar is celebrating five years of being one of the most beloved spots in Silver Lake with free oysters from Jan. 23 to Jan 26. Oysters will be shucked until they run out at L&E’s upstairs bar starting at 5 p.m. FREE
2. The Moth storytelling event returns to the Regent Theatre on Jan. 23 for a GrandSLAM featuring the winners of the past 10 Moth StorySLAMS.
3. Grab a beer and enjoy Astronomy on Tap held by Caltech Astronomy. There will be astrophysics and NASA prizes given out to those who participate in the astronomy quiz and hosting bar Der Wolfskopf will offers attendees special Astronomy on Tap happy hour prices on a selection of food and drink.
4. dineL.A. Restaurant Week continues through Jan. 27. More than just a week, dineL.A. offers food-lovers two straight weeks to taste, explore, and enjoy various prix-fixe menus from top restaurants across Los Angeles. Need a little help selecting places to go? Try our nifty guide to dineL.A. which includes our top picks 😉
5. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Catch L.A.’s longest running weekly burlesque show Monday Night Tease at Three Clubs in Hollywood on Mondays. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. Redondo Beach Restaurant Week continues through 27, and will feature 14 eateries from the beach city’s burgeoning food scene. All participating restaurants will offer either specially priced prix-fixe lunches and/or dinners, or other Restaurant Week-only specials.
8. The Queen Mary is issuing a special Locals’ Annual Pass to make it easier than ever for SoCal residents to visit the world-famous cruise liner all year round. The pass includes complimentary three-hour parking and admission to the ship and exhibits. Grab yours for a special price on Goldstar! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Tuesday January 24th, 2017
9. Los Angeles boutique DJ collective Dart DJs return to the Ace Hotel in DTLA for Throwing Darts, a vinyl-only night featuring Dart DJ’s, secret guests and the best in disco, funk, and soul grooves. FREE
10. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! Happening Tuesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Food Truck Night at The California Heritage Museum in Santa Monica.
12. Escape Room LA: The Theatre has you trapped inside a creepy theater haunted by a ghost. The only way out is to uncover clues and puzzles to release the ghost before time runs out. Happening Tuesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. The Lincoln presents “For the Record,” a weekly series where guests bring in their own vinyl for a unique DJ set from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. This week’s theme is Jazz + Soul with DJ Jordan Blackmon from Toro Y Moi. FREE
14. Escape Room LA presents The Alchemist a magical medieval adventure that has you race against time to solve puzzles and clues to escape the lab of an ancient alchemist. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Wednesday January 25th, 2017
15. Every Wednesday night is Drag Queen Bingo at Hamburger Mary’s in West Hollywood. It’s a comedic event featuring transgender hosts, celebrity guests, and fabulous prizes.
16. This week Glendale Arts POPUP! Intro to Music series continues with a intro to The Blues with guitar and the ukulele workshop at Brand Library. Open to the public the event is free, but the organizers are encouraging a $5 donation from each participant.
17. L.A. Urban Adventures invites you to relive Old Hollywood by taking a stroll down the Hollywood Walk of Fame while stopping to hear stories about historic spots, sample drinks made famous during the Golden Age and try out local street food. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. The Slurring Bee makes its way to The Virgil this Wednesday for a bar spelling bee where participants pay $5 to compete, take a first Slurring Bee Shot and spell. From there on it keeps going until a queen or king bee is crowned. Winner receives half the pot, bee-themed prizes and their picture immortalized on The Slurring Bees Wall of Fame, plus automatic placement in the Tournament of Champions!
19. The Pasadena Museum of California Art is currently having a special on admission through Goldstar where tickets are complementary with a $3 service fee (tickets usually cost $7 a person.) See current exhibits by Llyod Hamrol, Joan Perlman and a 90 painting show on California coast culture titled: In the Land of Sunshine. The promo runs throughout the week and weekend for the next few weeks. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. The Westchester co-ed dodgeball league will hold a free open gym for anyone 18+. Join the World Dodgeball Society team for a fun night of dodge ball and theme nights that extend to pub crawls, karaoke and more!
21. Tales from Tinseltown is a new storytelling show hosted by Megan Hayes (Hunger Games, Sleepy Hollow) and Oscar Sagastume (Multiple Moth Winner, Buzzfeed). Performers will share some of Hollywood’s dirty secrets and maybe a few of their own. The lineup includes Dylan Brody (NPR, Sirius/XM), Bill Ratner (GI Joe, Voice Over Legend), Richelle Meiss( RIOT LA, UnFictional), Justin Welborn (Justified, The Signal) and Meg Swertlow( EtOnline Producer, “The Irresponsible Girl’s Guide to Dating”). Tickets cost $5.
22. L!VE Talks Los Angeles presents Michael Lewis in conversation with Mindy Kaling discussing his upcoming book, The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds.
Thursday January 26th, 2017
23. The Cultural Services of the French Embassy presents a Night of Ideas a modern-day salon exploring past, present and future utopias throughout the 32 art galleries within Bergamot Station.
24. Art Los Angeles Contemporary’s 8th Annual Art Fair at Barker Hangar (Jan. 26-29) in Santa Monica will feature galleries from around the world and incorporate talks, presentations and performances by various artists. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. TechFair LA comes to The Magic Box at The REEF in Downtown Los Angeles. Considered the biggest job fair in LA’s tech ecosystem the fair will feature over 200 of LA’s best technology companies looking to hire candidates in engineering, marketing, sales, and much more.
26. Taschen’s semi annual sale takes place at the North Beverly Drive location (Jan. 26-29) the sale is the perfect time to re stock your book shelves! Score discounts of 30% to 75% on display and slightly damaged titles in subjects like fashion, art, architecture, photography, music, interior design, pop culture, and more
27. ART+WINE Soirée with Dali is a reception, with electro flamenco entertainment and a ballroom dinner at the Hotel Normandie.
28. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Spend a day at the races with the Farriers Package at Santa Anita Race Tracks. The package includes admission to the races, box seating and a racing program, along with a pint of local craft beer. Happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. The Un-Private Collection talk series continues with a conversation between artist Thomas Houseago and rock bassist and art collector Flea. Your ticket gets you access to The Broad Museum as well. Works by Houseago are currently on view as part of the museum’s exhibit Creature.
31. Throwback Thursdays at NoHo cinema screens Time After Time this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. Free admission days this Thursday for: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center, Japanese American National Museum (all day), Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m,)
Friday January 27th, 2017
33. The Friday the Forest Lawn Museum presents David Bowie: Among the Mexican Masters, an exhibition that highlights rare moments from the late musician’s only visit to Mexico City 20 years ago. FREE
34. Experience the food, culture and history of Downtown Los Angeles through a three hour foodie tour this Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. GIRLSCHOOL is back at the Bootleg Theater from Jan. 27 through 29. The Los Angeles-based women-led music festival features great music, educational panels, and community-oriented workshops for girls and women alike. This year’s line-up includes Chelsea Wolfe, The Bird and the Bee, Deap Vally, Caroline Smith, and other unique artists.
36. stARTup Art Fair comes to the Highland Gardens Hotel in Hollywood (Jan. 27-29) with a unique selection of art made by 39 artists from all over the country. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Dragapalooza takes over the El Portal Theatre with an over-the-top variety show featuring a cast of celebrity drag queens that include RuPaul’s Drag Race winner Sharon Needles, Adore Delano, Courtney Act, Derrick Barry, Willam, Mimi Imfurst and Trixie Mattel. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. MORE ART HERE: Open Studios at Santa Monica Art Studios (Jan. 27-29) is a free event featuring over 25 artists as they open their studios to the public and allow attendees to interact, speak with and watch the artists at work.
39. It’s a Presidential themed Rocky Horror Picture Show at The Rockwell. Let broadway, film and TV stars dazzle you on stage to help you forget about the dismal election for just one moment. Show happens Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
40. The Inaugural Classic Auto Show comes to the LA Convention Center on Jan. 27-29. The three-day celebration of all things auto will showcase the best classic and vintage cars from all over the world. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. Inked presents the California Golden State Tattoo Expo at the Pasadena Convention Center on Jan. 27, 28, and 29 for a gathering of the most talented tattoo artists all under one roof.
42. Every Friday of January, Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This weeks theme is Seasonal Cocktails.
43. Free admission day this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art and Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].