Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday through Friday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, February 18 to Friday, February 12, features President’s Day Penny Carnival, Oscar Film Week at Culina, Chamber Music & Wine Tasting at Walt Disney Concert Hall, Chocolate & Art Show and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday February 18th, 2019
1. Celebrate Monday’s holiday at the President’s Day Penny Carnival happening in Santa Fe Springs. Guests can enjoy penny games and $3 eats.
2. Los Angeles County Museum of Art is free on President’s Day. There’s also a free concert from 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. at the L.A. Times Central Court with rock band WYO. FREE
3. The Petersen Automotive Museum will host a parade featuring iconic Hollywood cars to celebrate the museums 25 years in business.
4. Dreamscape Immersive, the latest contender in location-based virtual reality, has opened in the Westfield Century City mall with three unique adventures that include an alien zoo, a deep ocean dive and an action packed adventure to find a powerful jewel. Open seven days a week.
5. Trejo’s Coffee & Donuts will celebrate the launch of two new items, the Trejo Coneado a donut cone filled with soft serve and Popped Donut an OG donut filled with soft serve. The first 100 customers will receive their choice of Trejo Coneado or Popped Donut for free between 2-4 p.m. Limit one per customer. No purchase necessary.
6.The Business LA is a free comedy show at Little Joy featuring some of the best local comics in town. FREE
7. The Pan African Film Festival (PAFF) returns to Los Angeles February 7-18. Now in its 27th year, the 12-day festival is the largest black film festival in America.
8. Palm Springs Modernism Week returns February 14-24 to celebrate all things midcentury modern including architecture, art, interior landscape design and vintage culture.
Tuesday February 19th, 2019
9. The 3rd Annual Oscar Film Week returns to Culina at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills February 19 – 23 with a meal and screening of all eight “Best Picture” Oscar nominated films in 2019.
10. Ryan Bingham (Oscar and Grammy winner for ‘The Weary Kind’ featured in the film Crazy Heart) will perform a free set at Amoeba Hollywood this Tuesday. There will be a post-performance where attendees can purchase Bingham’s new album American Love Song. FREE
11. Head to Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles to check out ‘Annie Leibovitz. The Early Years, 1970 – 1983: Archive Project No. 1,’ an extension of the 2017 survey of the same title presented by the LUMA Foundation at the festival Rencontres d’Arles, France. The exhibition features more than 4,000 photographs taken between 1970 and 1983, spanning the artist’s early photojournalistic work for Rolling Stone Magazine to some of her most iconic portraits. ‘The Early Years’ will remain on view through April 14, 2019. FREE
12. 260LA will host a Herschel sample sale from February 19-24 in their Beverly Hills location.
13. The Walt Disney Concert Hall will host Chamber Music & Wine Tasting with The LA Philharmonic. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
14. Get some expert insights on modern Israeli cuisine from a Los Angeles chef. Lior Hillel of Bacari will be stopping by the Skirball Cultural Center for a cooking demonstration and tasting of his take on lamb kebabs with beet tahini.
15. From February 4 through March 1 The Grove will host “Award Nominated Date Night” in honor of awards season. Guests will enjoy an award-nominated film and a three-course dinner at The Grove, as well as valet parking for the evening for $70. This promo is available everyday.
Wednesday February 20th, 2019
17. FLIX at FIG will screen Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist at FIGat7th in DTLA. The free movie screenings happen every third Wednesday of the month. A live DJ and happy hour kicks off the night at 6 p.m. and the film begins at 7 p.m. FREE
18. Women’s Beer Forum is back at Eagle Rock Brewery this Wednesday with a special beer and chocolate pairing featuring delicacies from Valerie Confections.
19. The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
20. The Wallis in partnership with Los Angeles magazine presents a free panel discussion titled Moving Beyond Scarcity: Achieving a Brighter Future for Arts Education in Los Angeles a panel with local arts and education leaders. FREE
21. Stop by Salazar every first and third Wednesday from November to February for a Mezcal Tasting Series with select mezcal brands. You’ll hear the history and culture of each brand and taste different expressions paired with snacks.
22. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style.
24. Non-profit organization Boundless Brilliance will host the all-women traveling film festival LUNAFEST at the Pasadena Central Library this Wednesday.
25. Danny Jensen, author of “100 Things to Do in L.A. Before You Die,” will stop by QUE Skyspace for an evening on their iconic observation deck with 360-degree views from 1,000 feet above.
26. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach. FREE
27. The Edison presents an Evening of Latin Jazz with guest band Orquesta Casabe. Dance instructor Charlene Rose will give free salsa lesson at 8 p.m. and the band plays at 9 p.m. There’s a $5 cover at the door.
Thursday February 21st, 2019
28. Wisdome Art Park is an art focused immersive experience spread among a series of domes in an Arts District lot. The current exhibition, Samskara, takes guests on a journey that includes paintings, optical illusions, virtual reality, and one very trippy video projection. Happening all weekend. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Gary Clark Jr. comes to Amoeba Hollywood this Thursday with a live performance promoting his new album, This Land.
30. This Thursday the Just Jazz Live Concert Series brings a special pop-up event to Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza featuring a live performance by Inglewood-based jazz collective Katalyst and the Fernando Pullum Community Arts Center Student Jazz Ensemble. FREE
31. Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
32.Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday February 22nd, 2019
33. The Chocolate and Art Show Los Angeles returns to The Vortex for two nights (Friday and Saturday) of art, live body painting, vendors, live music, face-painting, and free chocolate.
35. 4th Fridays on 4th Street activates the “Retro Road” business district in Long Beach on the fourth Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m. through extended hours, dining specials, discounted merchandise, pop up shops, art shows, live music, double decker bus rides and more.
36. 100 Tactile exhibition is a sensory experience with objects and symbols through the sensation of touch. The immersive exhibit will be supported by visual and sound elements. Open now until March 30. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Saved By The Max, the Saved By The Bell Pop Up Shop Diner & Bar will transform into Malibu Sands & Zack’s Room as part of the “final semester” of the pop up expereince wrapping up in April.
38. Desert X returns for its bi-annual public art show February 9 through April 21. Spread throughout the Coachella Valley in various locations, artists are commissioned to use the desert landscape as their canvas with breathtaking results.
39. Greenbar Distillery will open up their facility for a tour of their organic distillery. The tour allows guests to learn about the process of spirit making and taste some of Greenbar Distillery’s portfolio. Happening every Friday through Sunday of this month.
Food Pick for the Week
This week’s pick by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
WP24 by Wolfgang Puck’s sky-high Chinese New Year night market dinner returns on Friday, February 22 to celebrate the year of the pig. Guests can explore live cooking stations offering savory steamed pork belly baos, peking duck and more. There will also be a Chinese tea ceremony area and a dessert station serving mochi waffles topped with Harry’s Berries and milk tea ice cream. Dinner will come with a show when lion dancers, martial artist and live calligraphy delight guests as they feast.
Reservations can be made online and by calling 213-743-8824; tickets are available for $65 per person.
WP24 by Wolfgang Puck is located at The Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles at 900 W Olympic Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90015.