Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, June 25 to Friday, June 29, features Moonlight Movies on the Beach, The Tortilla Awards, Autry After Hours, Shakespeare By The Sea, Los Angeles Zoo’s Roaring Nights, Outdoor Movies at the Skirball, Summer in the NHM Gardens, Friday Flights at The Getty and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday June 25th, 2018
1. Start your week with a free Jam Session at the Ford Theatres. This week’s focus: Japanese Folk Dance. FREE
2. Grand Park will host Big L.A. Portrait Gallery from June 7 to July 4, transforming itself into a nighttime art gallery featuring photos by Los Angeles-based artists. Photography will be projected onto the 100 square-foot wall of the historic L.A. County Hall of Records right in front of Grand Park. Art will be on display nightly from sundown to midnight and is free to the public. FREE
3. Hanging Out with Paul Scheer returns to Largo for a funny round table show where each guest bring in something they think is cool and the discussion takes off from there. This month Edgar Wright, Lauren Lapkus and more.
4. Bring a little meditation to your Monday at the Eastside/Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sitting Group
5. June is California Avocado Month and Grand Central Market in DTLA is the place to be for all things avocado. A select group of chefs have rolled out avocado inspired offerings on their menu just for the month.
6. High Voltage Magazine will join forces with Scum and Villainy Cantina to launch a weekly board game night in Hollywood. Every week will have a theme with related giveaways, board games, menu items and more. This weeks theme is Jurassic Park. Admission is free.
Tuesday June 26th, 2018
7. Moonlight Movies on the Beach returns to Alfredo’s Beach Club in Long Beach a a summer of free film screenings on the sand. The series continues Tuesday with a screening of Pirates of Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales at Granada Beach and Black Panther on Thursday at Cherry Beach. FREE
8. Tequila Cazadores presents the Tortilla Awards at El Tejano in North Hollywood where guests get to sample the city’s best tacos and tortillas from five local contestants paired with a Tequila Cazadores cocktail. Each paring will be judged by an all-star lineup of experts including Chef and television personality Aarón Sánchez, culinary writer Javier Cabral, award winning bartender Manny Hinojosa and bartender Damien Diaz.
9. The Original Farmers Market will dedicate a night to all things ABBA in collaboration with The Grove and Outfest. A lively ABBA tribute band will get the party started with additional activities and treat along Gilmore lane and a sunset screening of Mamma Mia! will close out the night. FREE
10. There’s an off-beat comedy show called Deceased at Beetle House LA where it feels like Halloween all year round. Stand up will be focused on the darker side of life which is fitting for the setting.
11. The Flux screening series at the Hammer museum celebrates outstanding short films and music videos from around the globe through presentations and performances. FREE
12. Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema is back for the fifth year in a row. From June 5 through August 28 Angelenos can indulge in a luxury outdoor movie experience by the pool with a Cipriani menu, classic movie snacks and mini bottles of Moët & Chandon Champagne. The Big Sick will be screened this week.
13. See a fake American Town Hall set in a “new” town but really it’s at The Virgil. The hilarious comedy show donates all ticket sales to the ACLU!
14. Rooftop Cinema Club returns to the rooftops of LEVEL in DTLA and NeueHouse in Hollywood with multiple screenings this week that include Lady Bird, Thelma & Louise, Mulholland Drive and more.
Wednesday June 27th, 2018
15. Autry After Hours hosts Viva el Arte, an art experience and cocktail party inspired by their current exhibit, LA RAZA. The event will feature live performances, experience a mobile art studio and sip on cocktails and enjoy tacos.
16. 260 Sample Sale LA in Beverly Hills will host a ALC sample sale from June 27 to July 1 with up to 75% off retail price.
17. Head to The Bloc rooftop in DTLA for a #FitspoLA class featuring POUND – Rockout. Workout., a full-body workout combining cardio, conditioning and strength training with yoga and Pilates-inspired movements.
18. There’s no better place to explore the history of our city than inside Becoming Los Angeles, the Natural History Museum’s newly revamped (and just reopened) exhibit that details the culture, events, geography, movements, art, and diverse peoples that have shaped the city of angels.
19. Angel City Brewery presents Paint & Pint night at the DTLA brewery where they’ll provide all the materials and a pint of beer.
20. Celebrate the glories of Los Angeles art with Made in L.A. at the Hammer in Westwood. On view now till September 2, 2018. FREE
Thursday June 28th, 2018
21. Who What Wear’s Street Style Cinema, a series of free outdoor movie screenings at The Grove, concludes this week with a showing of La La Land. FREE
22. Shakespeare By The Sea will once again offer a ten-week program of admission-free performances with two featured productions: The Merry Wives of Windsor and The Winter’s Tale at a variety of venues across the Los Angeles. The series continues with performances of The Merry Wives of Windsor at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro this Thursday through Saturday. FREE
23. The L.A. Zoo will host a Sustainable Wine+Dinner Series highlighting sustainability — from agriculture to food and wine production to wildlife conservation. There will be close animal encounters, and a featured winery, along with a four-course farm-to-table dinner.
24. There’s a two day Cult Gaia sample sale happening in DTLA with up to 80% off retail prices on their swoon worthy accessories.
25. The night market at hilltop Asian restaurant Yamashiro back for 2018 every Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., through September 27. Angelenos can enjoy a farmers market, freshly prepared foods and Yamashiro’s unbeatable views of Hollywood.
26. Dew Tour’s summer skate competition and festival returns to the Long Beach Convention Center and Rainbow Park Lagoon from June 28 to July 1 for a free four-day celebration of all things skate culture.
27. Beyond the Streets is a fully immersive exhibition of street and graffiti art comprised of over 30 artist in a massive 40,000+ square feet exhibits. Artist are an eclectic mix of street and beyond including Retna, Shepard Fairey, Kenny Scharf Dennis Hopper and Jenny Holzer. Open Tuesday through Sunday this week. Open Tuesday through Sunday this week. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. Enjoy summer time at the highest rooftop pool in the city located at The Andaz in West Hollywood. Every Thursday the public is invited free of charge to Sunsets on Sunset an evening of music, cocktails and bites with an epic view.
29. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday June 29th, 2018
30. The Los Angeles Zoo’s annual after-hours music series, Roaring Nights, is back for summer 2018. Come experience DJs, indie bands, Silent Disco, the all-new Glamping Lounge, adult beverages, more than a dozen great food trucks each evening and more. Kicking off the series is 80’s night with legendary DJ Richard Blade and Flashback Heart Attack covering some of the greatest songs of the 1980s.
31. Celebrate summer in Los Angeles at Outdoor Movies at the Skirball. Films selected for this series are all related to current Skirball exhibits. This week check out The Muppet Movie, starring Jim Henson’s most beloved characters and come early to view the The Jim Henson Exhibition: Imagination Unlimited exhibit.
32. Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum this weekend. Sip garden-inspired cocktails, listen to live music, take garden tours and more. FREE
33. Shakespeare on the Bluff brings Shakespeare’s greatest plays to Loyola Marymount University for free shows in June and July. Kicking off the series is A Midsummer Night’s Dream this Friday. FREE
34. The Music Center’s annual Dance DTLA series is back for 2018 with a series of Friday-night events at Grand Park. This week features DJ Nights an evening curated by some of the city’s best and most influential DJs. Enjoy music, dancing, and more from 9 p.m. to midnight. FREE
35. 626 Night Market returns for three nights of deliciousness from June 29-July 1 at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia.
36. Friday Flights at The Getty invites artists to respond to the iconic architecture, gardens and exhibitions of the museum through multiple art forms that include music, performance and film. FREE
37. Feastown will host an Underground BBQ experience with Bartz Barbecue this Friday where Central Texas Style BBQ takes center stage with smoked Prime Angus beef brisket and pulled pork smoked for 12 to 16 hours over white post oak.
38. Are you a Chase bank customer? Got a freebie you might want to know about. Coolhaus is teaming with the Forum and Chase to hand out free ice cream sandwiches to Chase customers on Fridays all summer long. Locations will change every Friday, and the offer is ice cream sandwich per cardholder. Get more info here.
39. Barnsdall Fridays returns to Barnsdall Art Park for the tenth year in a row, with evening tastings of boutique wines and music from KCRW DJs perched atop a hill with incredible city views.
40. Free Family Movie Nights at Redondo Beach Pier will screen Wonder Woman this Friday. FREE
41. For over 30 years, Grand Performances has offered a variety of performance events at California Plaza, for free. Their 2018 summer series runs June 1 through August 18. Performing this Friday is Dave Hillyard & The Rocksteady 7 (jazz, reggae, Latin, ska) with The Delirians (soul, funk, Latin, ska, reggae). FREE
42. Jazz at LACMA welcomes Melissa Morgan at the BP grand entrance at 6 p.m. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]