Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, September 18 to Friday, September 22, features National Cheeseburger Day, the Venice Art Crawl, the Redondo Beach Lobster Fest, Knott’s Scary Farm, the Pasadena Greek Fest and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday September 18th, 2017
1. Alcove in Los Feliz host free movie screenings on the third Monday of each month now till October. Snag a table and order some themed out cocktails from Big Bar and bites from Alcove as you watch a movie on a 17ft screen, in the beautiful garden patio. This month they will screen Magic Mike.
2. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening throughout the week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. Head to the Ford Theatres for a free summer JAM session featuring complimentary dance instruction. This Mondays theme is Chicago Style Stepping. FREE
4. Grab dinner On the Lot in Los Feliz where an array of gourmet food trucks are ready to serve you. Taking place at Our Mother of Good Counsel from 5 – 8:30 p.m.
5. Monday is National Cheeseburger Day! Celebrate by ordering something off the In-N-Out secret menu or check out a National Cheeseburger Day Dance Party hosted by Shack Shack + Quiet Events.
Tuesday September 19th, 2017
6. Arrrrgh matey! This Tuesday, September 19 is recognized as “International Talk Like A Pirate Day.” According to their Facebook page, Long John Silvers will give everyone dressed like a pirate on Tuesday a “gold bar” (aka their Deep Fried Twinkie) for free. Participating locations only.
7. Pacific Standard Time LA/LA is in full swing with a four-month-long exploration of Latin American and Latino art in relation to the City of Angels. Led by The Getty the high profile event is a collaborative effort with dozens of art institutions across the city. Check out our top highlights here.
8. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with two screenings at their rooftop locations. Terminator at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and The Goodfather at Montalban in Hollywood.
9. Grand Park is ready to whip you into shape during their Summer Bootcamp series happening every Tuesday evening from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. All fitness levels are welcome! FREE
10. Free admission days: Natural History Museum, La Brea Tarpits Museum, Los Angeles County Arboretum (note: the tram doesn’t run on this day), South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens
Wednesday September 20th, 2017
11. The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
12. FLIX at FIG screens Bring it On at FIGat7th in DTLA. The free movie screening happens every third Wednesday of the month. A live DJ and happy hour kicks off the night at 6 p.m. and the film begins at 7 p.m. FREE
13. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach! FREE
14. The LA County Fair takes over the Fairplex in Pomona from Sept. 1 to 24 with fair-style foods, live musical performances, carnival-style games, rides, and unique attractions such as an expanded farm section (over five acres) featuring tons of interactive agricultural experiences for guests to enjoy. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Art Battle returns to Los Angeles in DTLA for a night of live competitive painting between 16 artist and a live DJ taking place at Exchange LA.
16. BBQ joint Horse Thief located at Grand Central Market will screen E.T. on their patio this Wednesday. FREE
17. Get some laughs in this Wednesday with Boss Jr. and their team of hilarious improvisers. Bonus they also give out free baked goods! Happening at UCB Sunset.
18. Beta Main located in Downtown Los Angeles will host an evening of poetry, music, and zines that celebrate Los Angeles’s Chicana community in conjunction with Beta Main’s current exhibition, Star Montana: I Dream of Los Angeles. FREE
Thursday September 21st, 2017
19. The Venice Art Crawl features local artists, vendors and community organizations throughout the streets while simultaneously hosting over three dozen events. Highlights include an iPhone Photo Art Show, “Cop Art” and plenty of live art, poetry and music. FREE
20. Knott’s Scary Farm is back with their signature haunted attractions, mazes and thousands of monsters ready to scare the living day light out of you and your crew. Be sure to check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with two screenings at their rooftop locations. Con Air at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and Big Lebowski at Montalban in Hollywood.
22. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Get spooked during Paramount Pictures After Dark Tour: Tales From The Other Side where you’ll hear scandals of yesteryear and the lost souls who haunt the studio lot by moonlight. The tour starts at dusk with champagne as you head into the studio lot where you’ll weave in and out of sound stages and the darkest corners of the infamous backlot. You’ll end the night next door at Hollywood Forever Cemetery with spine tingling tales of Hollywood’s most dearly departed and the secrets they took to their graves. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Free admission days: Japanese American National Museum (all day), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday September 22nd, 2017
25. The 22nd Annual Redondo Beach Lobster Festival happening Sept. 22 to 24 will bring 27,000 fresh Maine lobsters to the South Bay for mouth-watering dishes, alongside an impressive music line-up all weekend! Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Cheer on the Dodgers as they go up against the San Francisco Giants. Spend an evening at the iconic Dodger Stadium and dine on the newly revamped menu as you watch the boys in blue. The night will end with a spectacular fire works show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. An official Burning Man regional event, the Venice Afterburn comes to Venice Beach’s Windward Plaza on Sept. 22 and 23 offering a less hectic — not to mention less dusty — place to continue enjoying art and creativity after two days on the playa. Open to burners and non-burners alike the event is put on by the folks behind the Venice Art Crawl.
28. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with two screenings at their rooftop locations. LA Confidential at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and Dirty Dancing at Montalban in Hollywood.
29. Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes is hosting the fourth annual Celebration of Food and Wine (Sept. 22-23) The two day party includes an intimate champagne reception, breakfast on the beach, a cocktail competition, a farm-driven grand tasting dinner, live entertainment, and much more.
30. Movie Under The Stars at Malibu Wines will screen Mama Mia! Admission is free but they suggest each party purchase a bottle of wine. Cheers!
31. The Pasadena Greek Fest happening Sept. 22 to 24 will feature classic Greek dishes, drinks, dancing, kid friendley activities and much more.
32. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
33. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
34. Free museum days: Long Beach Museum of Art.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].